• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT-857D FT-897D 857 897 Frequency modification expansion

Recent radio mod successfull

I just finished putting the tx expansion mod in my brand new 857-D. This radio was purchased new this month.(Feb 2013). I was very hesitant to take the chance of messing this rig up, but it turned out ok.
I soldered the 4 jumpers, 7,8,9 and 6 as instructed. After first couple of resets, nothing happened...good or bad. I tried the different reset methods in the book with no results. I even tried removing 1 and 2 jumper with no luck thinking it might be necessary. Then I put those jumpers back in. Finally I did the reset and held the reset buttons until the radio shut down itself. ( Few seconds time), and low and behold, the radio was modified.
It was a little surprising but finally worked...no damage. You will have to add the 60m freqs yourself after the mod.
So, it looks like holding the reset keys may properly reset the radio for the mod to work. I recommend the use of a frequency prgramming program, and be sure to save your frequency info before you mod the radio so you can restore it afterwards.

Good luck! :w00t:

I'm confused (and also having devilish problems getting this $*#$&*$*# thing modded.
ALL other mod directions show 1 and 2 removed. Do you KEEP them??? THus, keep 1,2, 6,7, 8, and 9? Thanks N7TTQ

I just finished putting the tx expansion mod in my brand new 857-D. This radio was purchased new this month.(Feb 2013). I was very hesitant to take the chance of messing this rig up, but it turned out ok.
I soldered the 4 jumpers, 7,8,9 and 6 as instructed. After first couple of resets, nothing happened...good or bad. I tried the different reset methods in the book with no results. I even tried removing 1 and 2 jumper with no luck thinking it might be necessary. Then I put those jumpers back in. Finally I did the reset and held the reset buttons until the radio shut down itself. ( Few seconds time), and low and behold, the radio was modified.
It was a little surprising but finally worked...no damage. You will have to add the 60m freqs yourself after the mod.
So, it looks like holding the reset keys may properly reset the radio for the mod to work. I recommend the use of a frequency prgramming program, and be sure to save your frequency info before you mod the radio so you can restore it afterwards.

Good luck! :w00t:
so you left jumper 1 and 2 in and jumped 6 7 8 9 whats your range on vhf/uhf ....and to get it to work hold the reset buttons down till the radio powers off..

so you left jumper 1 and 2 in and jumped 6 7 8 9 whats your range on vhf/uhf ....and to get it to work hold the reset buttons down till the radio powers off..

I have NEVER removed anything, just solder jumped 6 7 8 9

The reset has been a weird anomaly for some reason though

Apparently the FUNC + Power On seems to be the successful reset procedure

ft857d 2013

did mod only jumped 6 7 8 9 and removed jumper 1 2 everything works great ....mod on this thread says leave jumper 1 2 any reason why to leave them?

did mod only jumped 6 7 8 9 and removed jumper 1 2 everything works great ....mod on this thread says leave jumper 1 2 any reason why to leave them?

So you removed 1 and 2?

hmmmm

Is it a USA model? What is the first 4 of the serial number?

What is your expanded frequencies now before the TX ERROR comes on? HF? VHF? UHF?

Did you take pics of your mod?

yes i did remove jumpers 1 2 and jump 6 7 8 9 on a days old ft857d usa bought 2013 from gigaparts when i get home can look at the sn# can also take pic if you like .......never did try the mod with jumpers 1 2 installed ....

i would also like to know if there is any difference with the two mods

So would I LOL

That is why I was asking where the bands TX now on yours

Where did you read to remove 1 and 2?

A picture of your mod on the jumpers would be good also

anyone ever rename optional filters ...any problems with this
> Using menu option #64 (undocumented) to give custom names to custom
> > filters installed in the FT-897D works fine! Here is an updated table
> > of the combinations
> > Grounded pins/ Label
> > displayed
> >
> > (none)| N/A | (no filter installed)
> > ------+---------+--------------------------------------------------
> > 1 | 2.3 | Yaesu YF-122S 2.3 kHz SSB filter or equivalent
> > 7 | 500 | Yaesu YF-122C 500 Hz CW filter or equivalent
> > 7 1 | 300 | Yaesu YF-122CN 300 Hz CW filter or equivalent
> > 6 | FILx | Custom; user may change label via menu option #64
> > 6 1 | FILx | Custom; user may change label via menu option #64
> > 6 7 | FILx | Custom; user may change label via menu option #64
> > 6 7 1 | FILx | Custom; user may change label via menu option #64;
> > | | does not work in FT-857D's "DIG" mode
2 and 5 ground / 3 and 4 input and output ...... going off what other people said will look for myself when i instal my filter tonight
3---------------4
2----ground-----5
1---------------6

anyone have any thoughts on this anything to look out for

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.