• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT-857D FT-897D 857 897 Frequency modification expansion

I recommend the ADMS-4B software from RT Systems and fRT Systems also sells the programming cable however I simply made mine so I cannot attest to the cable itself but after all.....it's just a cable.

I just bought the cable and the software package. Thanks Big time Capt (y)

Now I'll just have to figure out how to work this spaceage equipment. Looking at an allband dipole for the base then I need a good removeable for the mobile. LOL

Great job hamer,pics are great........enlarge even better(y) Who soldered that anyway:tongue:........This is the type of post i like.

I just bought the 857 d at HRO and ive been looking for the mods myself..Some say remove stuff and others say just solder jumpers 789 and 6.Kinds scared to screw up the rig...Ive been looking at other mobiles that all use the same mod..Back in the day i could pay to get it done but ive been out of the radio thing for years..Just got back into it full force..How can you tell what year the radio was made..Anyone help me out?

Thanks! My older USA Yaesu 857D (serial number 5H440xxx) had only these jumpers: 2, 1. I don't know how old it is, I bought it used a couple of years ago.
I want the Mars/Cap & full HF mod, so it will Rx & Tx on these freq: 1.8-56MHz, 137-164MHz, 420-470MHz

Removed jumpers 1 & 2. Added jumpers 9,8,7. Reset by holding in Func & V/M while powering on. Many memory locations would not accept input from CHIRP, couldn’t use them. Added a jumper on 6, and reset again. Now fixed. Tested by transmitting on 467.650 which worked great now, and did not Tx before mod (before mod radio display said: Tx Error).

When using CHIRP to reload memories after mod, I must download from radio, import CSV of memories from previous saved set. Must select Yaesu 857, NOT 857(USA) as it used to want.

Before Mod: Jumpers on 1,2 only.

After Mod: Jumpers on 6,7,8,9 only. Note unusual jumper numbering.

Thanks! My older USA Yaesu 857D (serial number 5H440xxx) had only these jumpers: 2, 1. I don't know how old it is, I bought it used a couple of years ago.
I want the Mars/Cap & full HF mod, so it will Rx & Tx on these freq: 1.8-56MHz, 137-164MHz, 420-470MHz

Removed jumpers 1 & 2. Added jumpers 9,8,7. Reset by holding in Func & V/M while powering on. Many memory locations would not accept input from CHIRP, couldn’t use them. Added a jumper on 6, and reset again. Now fixed. Tested by transmitting on 467.650 which worked great now, and did not Tx before mod (before mod radio display said: Tx Error).

When using CHIRP to reload memories after mod, I must download from radio, import CSV of memories from previous saved set. Must select Yaesu 857, NOT 857(USA) as it used to want.

Before Mod: Jumpers on 1,2 only.

After Mod: Jumpers on 6,7,8,9 only. Note unusual jumper numbering.

Hello Folks...

As there are several methods of modding the 857 I wanted to verify something before I start soldering. I have a unit made in September 2005 for the USA. If I understand this correctly I only have to solder the 6,7,8 and 9 to jump them. And I DO NOT have to remove any of the jumpers already in place. Is this correct? Thanks for your time.

Hello Folks...

As there are several methods of modding the 857 I wanted to verify something before I start soldering. I have a unit made in September 2005 for the USA. If I understand this correctly I only have to solder the 6,7,8 and 9 to jump them. And I DO NOT have to remove any of the jumpers already in place. Is this correct? Thanks for your time.

Yes, as indicated in the first post. As you can tell by some of the follow up posts, you may have to check some of the functions and adjust as appropriate due to small variances in these radios.

Also take special note of the way the pads are numbered. They are out of sequence so watch closely for the pad numbers.Looking left to right they are numbered 3,2,1,6,5,4,9,8,7

Last edited:
Reactions: Donny C
i recently rbought a 897d and read all your posts i modified the radio and tx and rx is fine however i have noticed that many of my menu options from 1-99 are not present,i noticed this when my am and fm modes did not tune with the vfo... i cant even find the 004 option on the menu screen.... along with other numbers in the menu screen ...did something happen to my radio during reset or do i not know how to operate this radio yet......please any help........dwdx

Absolutely nothing else should change with the modification except that you lose the automatic repeater offset. No menu items or anything else should have changed. Did you make sure you checked the numbering of the solder pads as I noted above?

i recently rbought a 897d and read all your posts i modified the radio and tx and rx is fine however i have noticed that many of my menu options from 1-99 are not present,i noticed this when my am and fm modes did not tune with the vfo... i cant even find the 004 option on the menu screen.... along with other numbers in the menu screen ...did something happen to my radio during reset or do i not know how to operate this radio yet......please any help........dwdx

Make sure menu item #1 is set to "ON". This is enables the "Extended Menu Mode". If this is set to "OFF" it will not show all the menu items.

OK, dumb question. After the mod, 2 metre operations with splits for repeaters. if you program it in, does it keep the new data??

Yes it does but you need to program both RX and TX frequencies IIRC. You loose the automatic repeater offsets while tuning in VFO mode but it will retain whatever you program into the memories.

Yes it does but you need to program both RX and TX frequencies IIRC. You loose the automatic repeater offsets while tuning in VFO mode but it will retain whatever you program into the memories.

Captain Kilowatt and others who have seen the auto offset function lost, why do many others say their mods seem to work perfectly?
I believe some may not be testing every function including this one, but it seems like quite a few have commented positively even on this site.
I am planning to do the mod this evening but I really like the auto offset function, I hope to find a variation for a way to get around this issue. (cross my fingers).
Thanks.

When you expand it will take away the presets for the set channels on 5mhz band, you then have to dial in your self.
DOCTOR/795:(

Captain Kilowatt and others who have seen the auto offset function lost, why do many others say their mods seem to work perfectly?
I believe some may not be testing every function including this one, but it seems like quite a few have commented positively even on this site.
I am planning to do the mod this evening but I really like the auto offset function, I hope to find a variation for a way to get around this issue. (cross my fingers).
Thanks.

One reason could be that folks buy the radio to operate 11m only and have no idea about nor care about repeater offsets. Then there are those that state the mod works great.........and it does for frequency expansion. The just don't mention the loss of automatic offsets.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated