• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

YAESU FT-857D HELP!

You might also look into the Icom 706MKIIG. Of course I'm biased in that in that is what I use. I looked at the 857 and decided on the Icom because I liked some of the features and ergonomics better. Research some to determine what you want. Go over to Eham and read the reviews that will help some as well.

Wayne C.

I went with it for the price point, the 857D, and haven't regretted it. I'm thinking of getting a second one for use in the shack so I have an all mode for 2m/70cm.

Yes, if you can, get your hands on one and on a 706MKIIG and compare what you think of them as far as the menu layout and overall settings. I like the bigger display of the 706, but when I bought my 857D last year, the price differential wasn't worth it. Either radio is a good unit for sure.

Get a 857d, I have one, super radio, and get mars mod done also then you have everything for all the bands including 11 mtrs.

DOCTOR/795

You can't go wrong with ft-857d......lot of features.BIG bang for the buck.
I have ft-857 non D model for mobile use,great radio,easy menu.....no issue's.Good luck

Wow thanks!

I really appreciate the input everyone! Now I have another question!

IF I do the MARS mod will it void the warranty on a NEW RIG?

So now, based on this information, I have to decide new or used.

This is the one thing has has kept me from placing my order so far!

Yaesu supplies the mod info, so as long as that's all you're doing, I seriously doubt they will give you grief if something else goes wrong.

I really appreciate the input everyone! Now I have another question!

IF I do the MARS mod will it void the warranty on a NEW RIG?

So now, based on this information, I have to decide new or used.

This is the one thing has has kept me from placing my order so far!

If you notice also, that mod you posted from another web site has been deleted?

The modification you provided shows one extra solder bridge across #4 I believe which is NOT NEEDED

The modification provided in the link above on this forum DOES WORK!

Excellent!

Thank you very much JK_RUBICON!

This is exactly the kind of information that I am looking for.
To me, its good that it got deleted. Why, I don't know. But perhaps it was inaccurate. It was passed on to me as being the actual mod distributed by Yaesu.

I read on another forum where an individual had an 897? I think, and Yaesu charged him $85 dollars or something like that, and blamed the problem on the mod which, had nothing to do with his problem.

Man, its hard to get definitive answers! I have sent a message to Yaesu, but getting info out of them is hard, even on harmless questions.

So, perhaps I will get lucky and someone will have done a non-permit Mars mod and they still honored their warranty. I really do want to get a new one, but if putting in a few drops of solder voids the warranty, Might as well pick one up used right?

--------------------------------------------------

If you notice also, that mod you posted from another web site has been deleted?

The modification you provided shows one extra solder bridge across #4 I believe which is NOT NEEDED

The modification provided in the link above on this forum DOES WORK!

Yeah

I certainly hope your right, but I got burned on a rig in the past and I simply don't want to go through that again! (long story, not worth telling).
Ill just say poo poo on Kenwood.

I am sure someone has the answer, as much as I have read in the past few days, the FT-597D does seem to be pretty buggy.

I take extreme good care of my equipment, I have stuff that is 10 years old that is basicially NIB. But you never know! Its good to know for sure.

Yaesu supplies the mod info, so as long as that's all you're doing, I seriously doubt they will give you grief if something else goes wrong.

The main complaints with the 857D seem to be from people who don't have a well grounded station or understand their antenna systems. The new digital rigs in general are all quite sensitive to these components.

Transistor finals are more sensitive and less forgiving so the 857D will fold back power to protect the radio and this leads to a lot of people complaining about bad audio or low power output.

I spent part-time almost two weeks getting my mobile installation all buttoned up and grounded and it has paid off very nicely. I like mine enough that I'm still close to buying a second 857D for in the shack as a backup or all mode on 2m 70cm.

One thing I like to do is take a review on eham, and search the other reviews by the same call sign and look for 'holes in the story'. You'll find similar stories with constant problems with gear of all types from the same guys. You'll find postings asking questions that clearly show a misunderstanding of radio etc. So it helps to judge the opinion you are reading before you make a decision on an expensive rig based on it.

Guys that totally kill a rig when it is their first one, or when they spend one day with it without reading the manual etc., make me nuts. The FT-2000 is a prime example of an amazing radio that has nothing but negative folk lore on the forums and it's because it is an infinitely flexible rig and requires spending quite a lot of time with the manual and monitoring yourself over the air with another rig for audio tweaking etc.

So take the information you read with a giant grain of salt.

Progress

That is so true, I am a firm believer in RTFM!

Put your rig to a dummy load and play with it, learn it where you dont have to get the book out just to turn it on.

I have heard many complaints about the folding of the Finals in the 857D.
I for one like that idea, if it is folding back then there is something wrong!.

I just perused my property again and it looks like I will be able to put up enough wire to get on 160 Meters.

Im not a big fan of 20, I like chasing the dx on the lesser used bands with QRP.

I suppose I will find my areas that I like to operate in most, and then put up my tower and make a multiband beam.

I don't like to operate as much as I like to homebrew antennas. Im used to just talking to my Elmers, my local group is small.

They are good guys (and gals) but most of them seem to be no-coders
and eiather dont know much, or are just curmedgeons.

Im probably wrong about that, but thats the signal that they give off.

The welcome wagon has no horses at my club.

Until I get all the reasearch done on the 857D I will concentrate on my antenna system and which tuner to get.

I was excited to find the FC-30, but too many posts have said that it will tune a dummy load and thats about it.

So shopping I am!

So much new stuff, man I feel like a novice all over again, kinda like it, kinda don't, but hey thats part of it.

LDG tuner looks good, so do does the FC-40 we will see.

I would love to hombrew an HF6 or 9V but not too many resources for that.

Im trying to do it right.

I just moved into a new QTH with a nice sized lot, and I can do anything I want. I can even run wire to the property next door. At my last QTH I was stuck with balcony and 10 meters. Eww

Now, finally I can get down on the lower bands and polish up my rusty FIST!

Oh well, I suppose I will just order the FT-857D and if I void the warranty, then that will be my last Yaesu.

--------------------------------------------------------

The main complaints with the 857D seem to be from people who don't have a well grounded station or understand their antenna systems. The new digital rigs in general are all quite sensitive to these components.

Transistor finals are more sensitive and less forgiving so the 857D will fold back power to protect the radio and this leads to a lot of people complaining about bad audio or low power output.

I spent part-time almost two weeks getting my mobile installation all buttoned up and grounded and it has paid off very nicely. I like mine enough that I'm still close to buying a second 857D for in the shack as a backup or all mode on 2m 70cm.

One thing I like to do is take a review on eham, and search the other reviews by the same call sign and look for 'holes in the story'. You'll find similar stories with constant problems with gear of all types from the same guys. You'll find postings asking questions that clearly show a misunderstanding of radio etc. So it helps to judge the opinion you are reading before you make a decision on an expensive rig based on it.

Guys that totally kill a rig when it is their first one, or when they spend one day with it without reading the manual etc., make me nuts. The FT-2000 is a prime example of an amazing radio that has nothing but negative folk lore on the forums and it's because it is an infinitely flexible rig and requires spending quite a lot of time with the manual and monitoring yourself over the air with another rig for audio tweaking etc.

So take the information you read with a giant grain of salt.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.