• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu ft-890 sounds high pitched according to a few people I talked to

mr_fx

Oct 8, 2011
Kansas City
They say it sounds fine on my stock mic, but high pitched on my Shure 58... also tried an electret mic and they still tell me it's high pitched... But the stock dynamic mic sounds ok... I hear lots of people say that Yaesu radios tend to be a little lacking in the base range. The radio DOES have a new 2100hz SSB filter... not sure if that is that cause as I am new to Amateur Radios

you may need to adjust the tx IF shift to get the frequency response that best suites you, narrow filters trade fidelity for selectivity,

good luck.

Reactions: 1 person
filter bandwidth skirt shape and insertion loss are effected by the impedance the filter is terminated with, they only work to spec when terminated with their design impedance,

changing the terminating impedance of the filter will alter its roll off/skirt shape,
inserting series resistors either side of the filter so the filter sees a higher impedance than its designed for broadens the response,
it can cause other issues like more ripple in the response/more insertion loss,

its ok to mess like that in a cb but i would find a wider filter before trying to bodge mod a narrow filter in a hf set.

its ok to mess like that in a cb but i would find a wider filter before trying to bodge mod a narrow filter in a hf set.

I think you are right... no reason to F up a nearly new INRAD 2.1k filter i am sure someone would be happy to trade for a wider one... To me it is a sad day when I fired up the HR2510 and said, "how does she sound now?" and they reply... "Oh my GOD what did you do!? Whatever it was keep it that way."

When I told them I was running the same mic and mixer setup on my HR2510 as I had on my FT-890, they said, "Well HELL, just ge rid of the Yaesu and keep the 2510!" LOL, NOT GOING TO HAPPEN

the tx shift does exactly the same as the rx IF shift control on the front panel but on transmit,
some rigs have an external adjustment such as ft767 some have a menue item to adjust carrier set point and some you need to adjust internally,

if you listen to your radio as you move the front panel shift thats the effect the guys at the other end hear when you move tx shift.

They say it sounds fine on my stock mic, but high pitched on my Shure 58... also tried an electret mic and they still tell me it's high pitched... But the stock dynamic mic sounds ok... I hear lots of people say that Yaesu radios tend to be a little lacking in the base range. The radio DOES have a new 2100hz SSB filter... not sure if that is that cause as I am new to Amateur Radios[/QUOTE]

You might try lowering the Carrier Set Point by 200hz(not sure if the 890 is adjustable)...but if it sounds fine with the STOCK mic...and pinched with the Shure mic...then it's the MIC...
Leave the compressor and Prostrasher OFF...
Just looked at the MANUAL....yes this can be made to shift the set point....Suggest you spend a few minutes reading the manual under Transmitting!
Shure SM58's...tend to be heavy on the Highs and most condensor mics also...
All the Best
BJ

Last edited:
I use a Shure 444D on the 890 when I decide to use it instead of the hybrids in the shack.

Unsolicited audio reports with that Shure mic.

I just found a nice modification /programin tip for the ft890 users,It is very helpfull if you do DXing and work pile ups.

Messing around with my 890 i found out that we can make our audio sound sharper (more penetrating voice) or give it a broadcast quality sound without having to get an expensive microphone.

You can also make your received audio sharper or lower tone (broadcast quality.

Here is what I found out, it is not in the manual neither on the service manual.

if you are working on LSB and want a more penetrating sound you will do this:

press FAST and LSB on the display it will show 000 F with the dial knob you will go high example 045 F this will make the received signal sharper.

If you go to a lower number example -040 (minus 40) the audio will sound in a lower tone (broadcasting quality).

this will help you to get rid of alot of QRM.

adjust to what ever setting is more confortable to your ear.

to modify your tx audio quality you will do the same but you will have to hold your PTT while moving the dial knob.

During pile ups I recomend a higher tone to penetrate trough during local communications go to a lower set up like -40 that will give your transmission broadcast quality sound.

If you are working USB you will do the same except that you will acces to program USB by pressing FAST and USB.

I recomend to write down the factory settings, more likely the should be 000 F , but some times the numbers are different.

This set up is up to you to whichever setting works better for your voice,and ear.

I hope that it is usefull to you. have fun

Cisco Call YS1CF

Reactions: 1 person
well I have used several different mics on the FT-890, MXL 990, MXL 991, Radio Shack Electret, Shure 58, DRV100, Radio Shack 33-128. All sounded high pitched. As soon as I flipped over to the President HR2510 I got nothing but glowing reports.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?