• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT-897D Review

Hi,

I also enjoy my 897D. After adding a 2.8 Kc SSB filter, it's amazing how good it sounds! Of course if band conditions are bad, you can always select the stock filter from the front panel.

Steve

Does this radio (receive) the 11 meter band? Or be modified to
receive/transmit 11 meter? :unsure: I have an 11M, i use for highway travel, but if can have my cake and eat it too! Why not.

Does this radio (receive) the 11 meter band? Or be modified to
receive/transmit 11 meter? :unsure: I have an 11M, i use for highway travel, but if can have my cake and eat it too! Why not.

Yes, the FT-857D does RX on the 11 meter band stock. I have one, un-moded.

I DO-NOT recommend converting it for out-of-band transmit.

The 11M band (CB) is 90% AM, and the FT-857D sounds like crap on AM due to the ALC and take quite a bit of work in the service menu to get the radio to sound have way decent on AM mode. I tested mine on 10M after about 3 days of hard core studying and tweaking, and I think its dead key is around 70W or so, with about 15W of swing in AM mode. Not too good for AM if you ask me. But I'm sure if you worked more then what its worth you can get it sounding half decent on AM. Just a waist of time, and money for a $900 CB radio..??? I myself am in love with the Cobra 29 for 11 meter use. The FT-857D has nothing on the old 29's for CB use.

73's de KD8PIQ

Thanks Sir Wichback , just curious about 11M. I just listen when traveling. I may be lookin at one of these radios then. BTW, I have a cobra 29lx/le with a rfx75 and love it, but still cant beat the older ones.

Thanks for a great review

Mole thank you for the review great as always, you helped me make up my mind I have been agonizing for two weeks over my first HF rig, I wanted something that would cover VHF, UHF, 6 meter and 10 meter and so on all in one the only rig in my price range was the FT897 unless someone has any other suggestions. By the way the best price that I have found is 959.00 from Ham city if someone knows of better price please let me know, Mole once again thanks for the great review.

Tim I was going to buy another Yaesu 557D for in the house and for 2 meter SSB but the more and more I see these FT-897 Im condering doing this instead it just makes more sense to me.

NICE for field day !

Too bad they don't make a base station one .... This is why i went with the 2000

Attachments

• preampforhf.jpg
    preampforhf.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 332
NICE for field day !

Too bad they don't make a base station one .... This is why i went with the 2000

I consider the FT-897D an portable base type of rig :tongue:. If you use the built-in power supply, you have a compact 110v rig. Take the power supply out and insert batteries and you have a field rig. It's a little smaller than most base rigs, but there's no rule that says a base rig has to be in a big box.

Nicely done review. Ever consider tapping the ps for charging a respectable size battery, and pulling the power from it? Something I am considering, that way, at home, it's on an "uninterruptable" power source, and in the field, if hte gen quits or what ever, you are still cranking out however much power you have selected, and if you want to conserve, of course just dial it back some. That's the idea gelling in my brain housing group, just need to implement...

Nicely done review. Ever consider tapping the ps for charging a respectable size battery, and pulling the power from it? Something I am considering, that way, at home, it's on an "uninterruptable" power source, and in the field, if hte gen quits or what ever, you are still cranking out however much power you have selected, and if you want to conserve, of course just dial it back some. That's the idea gelling in my brain housing group, just need to implement...

I had thought about doing exactly that but never got around to it. If you decide to do it, make sure and post pics!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.