• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu ft101EE no rx

troyota

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 9, 2007
Hello,
I have a yaesu FT101EE late model 25001+ serial. No rx, and very little tx, maybe 1 watt. I suspect tubes on the tx.
First I want to tackle the rx. I have no noise or static on internal speaker, external speaker, and headphones on any band or mode. Absolutley nothing at all. This is what I have tried. The bulb fuse on the back is good. I have changed both relays. I have tried another rf board (pb1181) from a known good receiver. Yes the volume is up, rf gain is clockwise, hooked to antenna, and I have rolled the preselect. Is there anything I have missed? Is there a common problem to look for?
thanks

thanks for the ideas, i will check into it. i was thinking the tubes were the finals only. i have another 101 here and it will receive with no tubes installed. i will try it with them pulled out.
thanks

no rx with tubes out either. i forgot to mention that i have wiggled and tapped all boards and relays with no change. also i switched the 25khz marker on and the meter will go up about halfway, no audio thru the speakers.

Last edited:
and check the rf drive cap on the front...if the tubes are weak,you wont get rec or trans...73 de JW

You can pull the driver tube and the finals and the receiver should still work. The tubes have nothing to do with the receiver. The RF Drive control simply tunes the driver tube as well as peaks the receiver preselector circuit.

Reactions: 1 person
Old radio syndrome.
You need some test equipment and a service manual to really dig into it, you can find that here:
http://www.foxtango.org/Manuals/FT-101_SVC_Manual.pdf

Pull all the Boards, and clean the edge connectors to start.
My first thing to suspect is caps that have gone dry, after all this is a 30+ year old radio.
You can try substituting boards to locate it down to what boards is causing the problem(s) but at some point you must work at the component level.
No audio through the speaker while RX`ing a signal points to the Audio board ( PB1315A) you can try swapping it the from the radio that has audio to the one that has none is a start.....

Good Luck.

Jeff

the other unit has the pb1189 audio board in it. will they interchange?
this may have something to do with it. the guy i bought it from brought me the power cord to this unit today, i was using the cord from the other 101 to troubleshoot it with. as soon as i plugged this one up, with the power switch off, the rig came on. the meter lights and the tubes were as bright as a 100w bulb. i yanked the plug out quickly. took the hood off the cinch jones, and compared it to the other plug. they were wired different. dummy me rewired the plug to match the correct one before making notes where it was wired incorrectly. that could have saved some troubleshooting. so now im bummed out. thnking this thing could be roasted. man such a nice clean rig too. so....any ideas?...scrap yard....target practice...

Pb 1189, that must be an old radio...before the "b" model came out.
What is the serial number of the old one...the 101 with no suffix?
On the very first 101`s, some of the boards were NOT interchangeable.
Form the B model up generally, they were compatible.

The rig came on with the power switch Off?
even the Heaters lit up?
Ouch!
Did you smell smoke?

Jeff

Reactions: 1 person
Go here, scroll down to were they list the models and boards....
http://www.qsl.net/nw2m/#mobile..this will show the early and late models, and what boards they had from the factory, from this you may be able to determine the interchangeably of boards.
The 101 can be run from 12 as well, and some of the connectors in the jones plug are for 12 volt... that is what the DC converter on the back ( black heat sink) with a couple of transistors is there for.
Hope it did not feed AC into it........was he using that cord?
I really hope it was not the DC cord some one mistakenly put a 110 V plug on.........................

Jeff

the old unit is a 101 with no suffix. someone tried to convert it to 6146 and botched the wiring. i did get the socket wiring fixed, but still trouble on the tx in that one......thats another day.
LOL no i didnt leave it plugged long enough to smell smoke. the 1-2 seconds it was on i think i got a tan from the bright lights tho.
as far as a dc cord, i dont think it was. the 120v plug side has the wire factory molded. i suspect it could have been a 120v cord for an accesory like ext vfo or something. i dont know for sure tho.
he said he really didnt remember if he had tried it or not, it had been in his closet for 4-5 years. he did say that was the cord he got with it. so its a crap shoot from here.
thanks

my voltages on the reg/calib board are ok except for the -100vac on pin 5 it is -179vac. the audio board voltage was ok.
i hooked to an inline freq meter. when it loaded up on 10m to 1 watt or so. it was not stable at all. it rolled from 32-25mhz. so maybe the vfo is bad?? it didnt seem to change frequencies when i rolled the vfo. it would not lock.
my voltage on the rectifier is a little high. the -100v is -180, the +600 is +745, the 10.5ac is 11.62ac, the 120ac is 133ac, the 480ac is 545ac. im thinking this is due to higher line voltage.
thanks

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.