• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT450D vs. Alinco SR8

I personally stay clear of anything made by Alinco. They have serious quality problems. The FT450 has been around for several years, and is a proven performer. I have one myself, and know several people with them, and all are happy.
Rich

Reactions: Oatmeal
I personally stay clear of anything made by Alinco. They have serious quality problems. Rich

First I've heard of their "quality problems". No Alinco radio I've owned including a DX-7oTH that I have now ever had an issue. On the otehr hand every Yaesu I've owned over the past 5 years has had problems. I had an FT-450AT that had the failed main CPU a year after i bought it new and one of the their 2m moblies that died completely after a year. Also bough it new.

I have to say that I belive the FT-45o failure was a bad batch of main CPU's. Once back from Yaesu where it was repaired under warranty it wa s pleasure to use. The FT-450D has all the improvements us 450 users always wanted and some excellent features at it's price point that make it a better choice than an IC-718. I'd buy another one. Then again the Alinco has the detachable head that makes it great for mobile use.

Last edited:
I'm leaning a bit towards the alinco because of price, is it a bad deal for the price? Getting used is a bit iffy here but may I have any suggestions of a used rig that should be a good deal for around the same price as the alinco? Thanks in advance again.

Yaesu FT-450 hands down!!! I have several rigs and that FT-450 is used daily because its a great radio with a lot of "Useful" features.

Reactions: Oatmeal
I've been looking at HF radios for the last few days and the used ones I've seen most are asking almost as much as a new FT 450D cost..

Have also did some research on the ft 450d radio, and most people running this radio loves it, and out of the 113 reviews I seen those guys rated this radio at a 4.5/6...well this is what I've seen about the 450d..

But it pays to do some research on the radio before you jump in and buy it...so far I like what I've read about the 450d.....don't no much about the other one here ..

You will like the 450 I guarantee it!! The DSP is nice along with all the rest of the features that are actually usefull in everyday use ;)

Reactions: binrat
I owned a 450 for a few months, didn't care much for it. I've been using my Alinco SR8T daily. It's a stout rig and potent on AM. I've owned many Alinco radios, both VHF and HF. I honestly can't recall any of them having issues.

The SR8T can be had cheap, especially used ones. The filters in the 450 are meh. Nothing to call grandpa about.

Besides, the 450 is a goofy, ugly ass radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.