• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FTM-350 Review

I bought one this morning and installed it in my Tahoe this afternoon. So far, I'm really impressed by this. I haven't however, installed the GPS yet. I'll do that before I go to bed.

Here is a picture though, of one side "Alpha'd".

Hope this helps.

Dave, W5DMT

Yeah thanks, I was curious if it displayed the frequency at the same time...nice.

Does it have a 'priority' mode so that one of the receivers will mute the other or duck the audio level when its squelch opens? I love that option in my VX7R.

Not much chance to get a used one for awhile, since they are - of course - new.
There is a chance that the price will drop 50-$100 within the year is possible. As dealers will compete for business traffic.

It's a lot of money for a 2m/440 radio; but it has a lot too.
Even the kitchen sink...

I bought one this morning and installed it in my Tahoe this afternoon. So far, I'm really impressed by this. I haven't however, installed the GPS yet. I'll do that before I go to bed.

Here is a picture though, of one side "Alpha'd".
Dave Tipton's Photos | Facebook
20251_241771314070_709629070_3301077_1925595_n.jpg

Hope this helps.

Dave, W5DMT

Dave I noticed that it looks like you have a GPS hooked to your radio, is that to use the APRS function or can you use it as a map to show other APRS stations on it?

Installed and impressed

Moleculo, thanks for the GPS info. I have the VX-8 but when I was driving I just popped it on the dash so I never noticed how sensitive it is. Will pick up the GPS unit in the next day or two along with a tri-band antenna. I'm still having trouble finding the AM Air Band, it keeps giving me an RX Error and jumps back to the freq I was sitting on. The manual seems to lacking several pieces of detail. :)

Bryant
W7BDB

I'll answer a few more questions before I go on with the review:

Does it have a 'priority' mode so that one of the receivers will mute the other or duck the audio level when its squelch opens?

Yes. The manual calls this "Priority Channel Scan" or "Dual Watch). To set this up, you store your priority channel into memory 000 and then activate the dual watch by hitting the F key until the menu shows F-2 (I'll explain this later). Then you just hit the DW button and it's turned on. You have a few options with this mode, especially while using the scanner that can be tweaked using the SET menu.

I'm still having trouble finding the AM Air Band, it keeps giving me an RX Error and jumps back to the freq I was sitting on. The manual seems to lacking several pieces of detail. :)

The trick to getting to the Air band is to change the RX Expansion setting. Here's how you do it:

Hit the SET button, then go to the TX/RX menu. Go to the B05 - RX EXPANSION menu. Change it to WIDE COVERAGE. Now you can set the left VFO to the aviation frequencies. In fact, when you do this, the upper left corner flashes "AIR" briefly when you set the frequencies. I'm listening to one of the LAX approach frequencies right now.

Suction Mount Install

Since I intend to use the suction mount install, I figured I would show some details about how this is implemented.

When you open the package, the suction mount is pre-assembled, although the mount is not attached to the control head. To attach the mount to the control head, you must first disassemble the mount by unscrewing the top thumb screw. After you do that, you can screw the right-angle bracket to the radio. Here is a pic of the bracket attached to the radio with all of the other parts laid out next to the control head:

910-1263194786-7d5c7214f576122271a4f27f56eb333a.jpg

Notice that the suction mount comes with a silicone base, shown in the center bottom of the pic. You use this on any surface where the suction cup won't stick on it's own. The package also comes with two rubber, round "feet" that you stick onto the bottom of the control head to help prevent it from whacking on something while using the control head. I stuck these onto the bottom of the control head of my rig.

Here is a close up pic of angle bracket attached to the radio. Like I said before, you must disassemble the suction mount to accomplish this.

909-1263194786-aedb0d191a4f69e4905a57f0631bbdc3.jpg

To attach the mount to a flat surface, you must install the suction cup first. You do this by pushing down on the threads disassembled mount cup first. You will not be able to accomplish this when the mount is fully assembles.

After you have the mount in place, attache the rig face and the rest of the mount and screw it down by turning the mount's bolt. Here is a close-up pic of the final result:

912-1263194786-b68b12f71638c4d54a1819d3c52fbd15.jpg

I think this mount system actually works pretty good, although I wish they would supply a few extra silicone bases (that go under the suction cup) for those of us who will move this rig from vehicle to vehicle.

Screen colors

The FTM-350 has multiple screen colors to choose from. There are also multiple contrast and brightness settings. I've attempted to capture the various color display options for everyone to enjoy. They're not perfect, but they're pretty close.

White-Blue
913-1263194786-1c96db94c9e45accddbb56b34076dea6.jpg

sky-blue
914-1263194786-973c1cdc78546c249ecfdbe7a09f1fa1.jpg

marine-blue
915-1263194786-379699dfb0b4da34e504594693ea58ab.jpg

green
916-1263194786-1186f0536592813c8e6be36256c94c80.jpg

yellow-green
917-1263194786-8132fd44f863ae53fe288a8afc4a70a2.jpg

orange
918-1263194992-caba5af2e74d1a499de119811aaa8cf2.jpg

amber
919-1263194992-e5b94a177e0ea3577c7a96ddaa30a83e.jpg

white:
920-1263194992-26b0ccac9f64a47968c6ba3b896ae920.jpg

Next up, review of the basic functionality.

Thanks for the expanded RX tip, I had tried in the G08 RX Coverage setting. No wonder it didn't work, now I had better run them back to the default. I found in the color setting the amber with brightness set at the lowest setting turns into a dark red, worked great for night driving with the control head on the steering column. Yaesu needs you to proof their manuals before shipping them out. My supplier and I were quite surprized there was nothing about antenna requirements in the manual. Not that we shouldn't have an idea already. Thanks again for all you info on this radio.

thanks for the other photos and such ... i am still trying to figure out how i will mount the control head in my xB. not enough room on the steering column looks like .. and dont really want it fully exposed on the dash ... so that only leaves mounting it just below the gearshift with a custom bracket ... or just above the a/c controls with a different custom bracket ...

So for the audio ducking / muting question. More detail.

So you have VFO A and VFO B, right and left side of the radio.

If they are both up and running.

If VFO A opens squelch, is there an option to auto mute VFO B while the squelch is open on A? So say I have public service scanning on B all the time, but I'm talking on A, is there an option so that when A opens, B is muted? Or vice versa?

VX7 allows one to mute the other or both to be mixed or one to be greatly reduced when the other comes up.

Didn't mean a priority scan option where it skip scans and watches a particular frequency.

Thanks for the color pics examples...I'm partial to amber/orange, looks good.

SR385 the radio will allow you to mute the RX or TX of the VFO B (they call it Sub Band muting) or you can mute both RX/TX. Moleculo, I have a question for you. On VFO A I have a specific repeater programmed in and it sounds real scratchy (both on the control head and chassis speaker) If its programmed in on the VFO B side (right) it comes in clear. Back on the A (left side) all other frequencies simplex or offsets come in super, just a good as the right side. It only seems to be that freq and only on that side. I've not changed any other settings. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any advice.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated