• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX-8R: How do I set the RX mode for a memory?

j-squared

Jul 12, 2009
I have used RT Systems' software to program my VX-8 and I have saved many repeaters that are part of the C.A.R.L.A. network in Northern California:

Welcome - California Amateur Radio Linking Association

I noticed, for example, that the Link frequency for the Oakland repeater has an RX Mode of NFM, while the Local frequency for this repeater has an RX Mode of AM.

I can hear transmissions much better with NFM and want to permanently set the memory location for the Local frequency to this, so I go to Set Menu 78 and change the RX Mode from Auto to NFM. I press PTT to exit and return to the current frequency and I see that it is NFM.

If I change to a different memory location and come back, it is once again AM. I can't make the change stick using the radio. Of course, I am going to try making this change in the software and update the radio, but I think that I should be able to do this with the radio.

I don't understand why Oakland Link is NFM while Oakland Local is AM when the only difference between these two repeater frequencies as stored in memory is the PL code.

Thank you for any help you may provide
Jerald

When I follow that link I see that it has dual PL's, not dual frequencies. The Oakland local PL tone is 114.8, while the linked PL is 173.8. Are you confusing the RX frequency with the PL (CTCSS)?

When I follow that link I see that it has dual PL's, not dual frequencies. The Oakland local PL tone is 114.8, while the linked PL is 173.8. Are you confusing the RX frequency with the PL (CTCSS)?

Thank you for the reply.

Perhaps I am using the wrong terminology (I'm a noob at this :) You are correct and this is also what I understand. I am not trying to focus on the frequency for the repeater, or the PL tone for either Link or Local modes.

The point is that I see that my radio has automatically selected an RX mode of AM for Oakland Local and an RX mode of NFM for Oakland Linked, where the only difference between these two in my radio is the PL tone, as you note above.

I want to override this automatic selection of the RX Mode for all memory locations for which AM was selected. It is clear to me that I can hear transmission MUCH better if I go from AM to NFM. I simply cannot make my change stick. I read the manual and all it explains is that you can use the Set Menu item to make this change, but makes no mention of whether it is temporary, permanant, or ...

Thanks again,
Jerald

I got the answer from Yaesu technical report.
What I need to do was save the changes to the memory location before I switched to another location.

1) While on a memory location for which I want to change RX Mode, press and hold Menu to enter Setup.
2) Select setup 78 for RX Mode and press Menu to enter
3) Change RX Mode to desired mode (for me, this was NFM)
4) Use PTT to leave Setup and return to display
5) Press and hold FW to enter memory save mode and dial back to the memory location you want to update
6) Press FW to write.
7) Press FW again to confirm overwriting the memory location

Thank you,
Jerald

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.