• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX-8r mod - first on the internet!

VX-8R Software Mod Help Needed

Question for those who have done the VX-8R software mod...

KB2LJJ Radio Mods Database and Manuals

Resistor mod and software mod.

50-54 MHz
120-225 MHz
300-580 MHz

Here is where I get lost/stuck: :confused:

Steps:
1. push HM/RV + MENU power on
2. turn DIAL to choose MODE ***
3. push Function/w

Step Questions:
1. Do I push all three buttons at the same time? How do I know if I was successful? I don't see any indications that I was hence why I think I am doing something wrong.
2. Assuming I did do step 1 correctly, when I then turn the dial it only changes frequency and there is no way for me to dial to "MODE ***". What am I missing?
3. Looking for confirmation that Function/w is the number "9" key.

PS: I did the extended band resistor mod last night on the VX-8G and it worked fine :). Needed to get the magnifying glass out to see it but no problems removing it with the tweezer method.

Thanks for help.

Paul
KB1QZR

I try to mod on my new VX-8DR but I cannot find the resistor.
It just a soldering trace ( look like already removed or not installed form manufact. )
How can i do and how can i know what hardware version i have.
About software mod in this thread , I don't know what to do in step :
- 6 Turn DIAL to A, push “MODE”
- 7 Turn DIAL to H, push “MODE”
Pls. explain , please can not find A or H on my dial .
Thank in advance for anyone guy who give me a help...

HI I did the resistor mod on my vx8r, but I cant get the soft ware to work any more. does anyone have any ideas? RT SYSTEMS software. just says Error! Thanks Totally Spent

TX 46Mhz

if anyone knows how the tradition can be extended to 6m tx range is from 88mhz to 46MHZ

:censored:

73 to yt1prm

HI I did the resistor mod on my vx8r, but I cant get the soft ware to work any more. does anyone have any ideas? RT SYSTEMS software. just says Error! Thanks Totally Spent

I would contact RT Systems and see what they say. I use the same software and haven't had any problems with my modified radio.

I try to mod on my new VX-8DR but I cannot find the resistor.
It just a soldering trace ( look like already removed or not installed form manufact. )
How can i do and how can i know what hardware version i have.

I just got a fresh new US VX-8DR from the store... and resistor is there. With resistor it identified itself as A2, after removing the resistor it becomes A3.

If you don't mind cutting the trace, I can try to help you to identify the line that needs to be cut, just make a clear hi-res picture of the PCB.

-albertr

Did the mod. Seems to work. Got a question...

Ok...so I did the mod. I am a super newbie and wanted the mod mostly out of curiosity to listen in on the restricted channels.

How can I disable or lock the Xmit on the Mars/Cap frequencies? I don't want to accidentally Xmit one night low on sleep and hyped up on caffeine. :)

Also about the A2 and A3...is there a way to check the code the radio is running or a way to verify that everything is working as it should? I seem to be able to xmit on the mars/caps frequencies.

Since you can transmit, you are good. For A2/A3 model identification, you can get G4HFQ's software from his website here:

http://www.g4hfq.co.uk/download/FTBVX8Setup.exe

He gives you two weeks to evaluate it, but you need a cable to connect to computer. When you hit "Read the radio" button it reads settings from the radio will show you the model number in the right top part of the screen.

I highly recommend to shell out 15 bucks and buy a license, it's very handy software and makes programming a hell lot more convenient. Also you always will have a backup copy of your setting just in case which IMHO is alone worth more that $15.

You can lock keypad by briefly hitting "Power" button. That would disable most of the buttons including "PTT". BTW, you don't need any modifications of VX-8 if all you need is just listening.

-albertr

albertr,

So you are saying I didn't need to do the mod if I wanted to just listen on one of the restricted channels? I thought it wouldn't even receive it without the mod. Whats the best way to verify that the mod work I did is functioning without getting into some kind of trouble.

I assume you can get into trouble...lol...dunno...thats why I am the FNG. :D

How can I disable or lock the Xmit on the Mars/Cap frequencies? I don't want to accidentally Xmit one night low on sleep and hyped up on caffeine. :)

albertr was correct about locking the radio with the power button however if you want to lock the PTT you need to change the setting in the menu. The default is set to KEY&DIAL(the PTT still will function). You need to change it to one of the following: PTT / KEY&PTT / DIAL&PTT or ALL. The setting canbe changed in MENU 51:LOCK.

albertr,

So you are saying I didn't need to do the mod if I wanted to just listen on one of the restricted channels? I thought it wouldn't even receive it without the mod. Whats the best way to verify that the mod work I did is functioning without getting into some kind of trouble.

I assume you can get into trouble...lol...dunno...thats why I am the FNG. :D

RX
Frequency Note
0.5 - 1.8 MHz BC Band. AM Radio
1.8 - 30 MHz Shortwave Band.
30 - 78 MHz 6 Meter Ham
76 - 108 MHz FM Radio
108 - 137 MHz Air Band
137 - 174 MHz 144 MHz Ham. 2 Meter
174 - 222 MHz VHF-TV
222 - 225 MHz 222 MHz Ham
225 - 420 MHz General Band 1
420 - 470 MHz 440 MHz Ham. 70 cm.
470 - 800 MHz UHF-TV
800 - 999 MHz General Band 2 Cellular Blocked

TX
50 - 54 MHz
144 - 148 MHz
222 - 225 MHz USA version only
430 - 440 MHz

TX w/ mod
50 - 54 MHz
144 - 148 MHz
148 - 174 MHz MARS/CAP Mod only
222 - 225 MHz USA version only
430 - 440 MHz
440 - 470 MHz MARS/CAP Mod only. FRS/GMRS freq range

Here are the frequencies that the VX-8R/DR will receive out of the box. No modification necessary. The mod only expands the TX of the radio. To test it to see if it works you can try transmitting on the marine vhf band if you have access to a marine radio to receive or you could do the same with an FRS radio. Just don't transmit on any frequency that you aren't allowed (eg. police, fire, etc...:whistle:). Hope this helps.(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated