• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX-8R on a Motorcycle

kc0zps

May 18, 2009
Well, for anyone who cares or is trying to get their Yaesu VX-8R working on their motorcycle, I think I found a solution that works for me. The Scala Rider Q2 appears to work rather well. My expectations were very low, however. I didn't even think I'd be able to get the headset and VX-8R to pair, but they surprisingly did.

The functionality of the Scala Q2 works with the HT too. They have a large button on the side the headset that you can use to transmit. Press it once to start transmitting, press again to stop transmitting. I can see myself screwing this up though -- not fully pressing it the first time, thinking that I am transmitting, then pressing it again thinking I am done, when I reality I am now transmitting. Luckily, the radio has a time out feature.

VOX high and VOX low works but I only tested it in my living room.

I ran a quick test driving down a major highway going at about 45 MPH. I had VOX set to PTT and was chatting with a friend using a local repeater. I was able to hear him without any issues what-so-ever. He did say he had issues hearing me, mentioning that I was barely breaking the white noise. We were able to carry on a conversation though. I wonder if moving the mic will make me more audible. I guess we'll find out once I start using this setup more.

Reactions: 1 person

zps,

You might try increasing the mic gain (Menu 60) or the mic gain on the Q2 (if it has one) for better received audio at the other end. On the other hand wind noise will increase also.

Mike

Well, I ran my initial test this morning on my way to work. I usually talk with a group of people on a local repeater, but I decided to go to work early and had a friend get on so that we could see how the setup works.

The setup, in itself, worked flawlessly. In fact, I was able to hold a decent conversation the entire way to work, which took a good 25 minutes. Speeds ranged from 0 all the way to 70 MPH. In all cases, I was able to hear the other person perfectly. Occasionally, my friend had issues hearing me, but I'm guessing thats the limitation of the HT itself.

I'm using the Comet SMA-25 HT antenna with a homemade counterpoise tiger's tail. My signal broke up at various locations. There's one stretch of road with massive power lines at the side. Even my 55 watt mobile unit in my truck has issues breaking through. As I went under a few bridges, the signal broke up. I'm not sure if I can really solve this. I guess this is what you get running 5 watts on a handheld.

Lame. I just found that you can't have a cell phone and the HT paired to the headset at that same time. You have to "re-pair" either when you switch between the two. Not that big of a deal, but its just nice to turn your device on and the headset on and not have to worry about pairing when switching between the two.

Hell, in a perfect world, I'd love to have my iphone (to listen to music) AND HT connected to the headset at one time, but you can't do that with this headset. It supports multiple devices, but my iPhone and VX-8R just won't connect at the same time.

VX-8 w/ Scala Rider

Hi..hope you still view old threads.
I have a few questions for ya. I recently purchased a Schuberth C3 helmet with an integrated SRC Comm system made by Cardo. Supposedly, the YAESU VX-8 or 8DR will talk to the SRC Bluetooth system. I guess that's my first question: is that true? I know you said you had a Scala Rider Q2 (made by Cardo) and that works. I can't see why the Scala Rider Q4 (made by Cardo and similar to what is installed in my helmet) won't work.
The other question I have is regarding the 8DR. I want to use the radio on FRS/GMRS channels (462 and 467 MHz). Apparently the 8DR will only allow Rx not Tx in these frequencies. However, I did hear there was a mod, ripping out the capacitor/resistor/whatever on the PCB, that would allow the 8DR to then Tx on these frequencies. That's what I want/need.
The reason I'm looking at the 8DR is because it's waterproof and will have it mounted on my handlebars.
Thanks a bunch. Rob

However, I did hear there was a mod, ripping out the capacitor/resistor/whatever on the PCB, that would allow the 8DR to then Tx on these frequencies. That's what I want/need.
The reason I'm looking at the 8DR is because it's waterproof and will have it mounted on my handlebars.
Thanks a bunch. Rob

Check out this thread. It will answer your question about the extended TX mod for the VX8-DR.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/yaesu/31824-yaesu-vx-8r-mod-first-internet.html

VX-8DR Mod

Thanks depark. I'm just hesitant to buy a NEW 8DR and pull off a resistor to get what I want. As long as it works..I'm good. The other thing I need to ensure is that the Yaesu bluetooth board is compatible with my Moto helmet Bluetooth system. It should be because they are both AD2P and already heard someone who has an 8R say it works with a Scala Rider Q2 helmet bluetooth comm system which is manufactured by Cardo- the same mfg of my Moto helmet's (Schuberth) comm system (SRC). Thanks again. Rob

Antenna

Office- I need to install a radio FIRST before I think about an antenna. I will also be using the radio as a handheld unit so it will be portable- off the moto. Just want to make sure before I plunk down $500+ (radio & bluetooth) that I know what I'm getting. i.e. everything (helmet comm, radio, and radio to other FRS/GMRS radios, etc.) will work.

I know you're planning to use an ht off the bike but for the guys who ride and chat; unless you're highway touring I don't see how you use radio equipment and ride the bike. All my spare attention goes to watching the dumb-a$$ cagers who are dying to make a left hand turn in front of me.

I have been plotting a mount and antenna in my mind for the Harley though for stationary ops :D

Can you guys post some picts of your bike mounts and antennas?

Thanks depark. I'm just hesitant to buy a NEW 8DR and pull off a resistor to get what I want. As long as it works..I'm good. The other thing I need to ensure is that the Yaesu bluetooth board is compatible with my Moto helmet Bluetooth system. It should be because they are both AD2P and already heard someone who has an 8R say it works with a Scala Rider Q2 helmet bluetooth comm system which is manufactured by Cardo- the same mfg of my Moto helmet's (Schuberth) comm system (SRC). Thanks again. Rob

I purchased my DR and within a month I did the resistor mod and installed the bluetooth module at the same time. The resistor comes off really easily with a hot small tiped soldering iron. It was so easy. After installing the BT, I tested it with my chosen headsets (yaesu BH-2A and Plantronics Voyager 510) befor sticking the adhesive cover back on. They both work great. Sorry I can't help with the Schuberth C3 helmet question.
Cheers

Hi..hope you still view old threads.
I have a few questions for ya. I recently purchased a Schuberth C3 helmet with an integrated SRC Comm system made by Cardo. Supposedly, the YAESU VX-8 or 8DR will talk to the SRC Bluetooth system. I guess that's my first question: is that true? I know you said you had a Scala Rider Q2 (made by Cardo) and that works. I can't see why the Scala Rider Q4 (made by Cardo and similar to what is installed in my helmet) won't work.
The other question I have is regarding the 8DR. I want to use the radio on FRS/GMRS channels (462 and 467 MHz). Apparently the 8DR will only allow Rx not Tx in these frequencies. However, I did hear there was a mod, ripping out the capacitor/resistor/whatever on the PCB, that would allow the 8DR to then Tx on these frequencies. That's what I want/need.
Thanks a bunch. Rob

I don't know the answer to your second question, but it looks as if it has already been answered. As for the first one, I don't see why not. The Scala Q2 Cardo works flawlesly with both my Yaesu FTM-10R and VX-8R. Pairing was painless. The control button on the cardo is used to start transmission and end transmission. Not much to it.

Since writing this post, I've installed the Yaesu FTM-10R on the motorcycle and have been using it on a daily basis commuting to work and joining in on the local "round table" discussions. I have no issues what so ever and the people on the other end always tell me that I am full quieting on my transmissions. I do get more white noise as I start going above 70 though.

I took a four day trip last week to tour around southwestern Colorado on the bike. I was travelling south on 285 when I heard someone calling out CQ on 146.520. I was a bit surprised, so I answered him. I found out he was camping out at the Great Sand Dunes, which is a good 50 miles from where I was. I held a nice steady QSO with him for at least 20 minutes.

The reason I switched to the FTM-10R is because I wanted the extra wattage. There were a few locations on my HT where I just couldn't break into the repeater.

Here's my current setup :

ed425c2c.jpg

85021877.jpg

4e55fd50.jpg

3efdcbb8.jpg

The base of the radio is under the seat covered with a trash bag. I wanted to cover the base radio because it is NOT waterproof and I know water can still get under the seat. I was going to remove the trash bag and take a photo, but I did a pretty nice job with the trash bag and I didn't want to redo it. :)

2dfc36ff.jpg

Oh, I should mention that I can only reliably transmit at 20 watts using the FTM-10R. When I crank it up to 50, my transmissions start to cut out. I'm guessing my alternator can't support that much power. 20 watts is more than enough to hit the local repeaters and I'm not sure I want 50 watts of power coming out of an antenna that's directly behind me.

Great Info

Thanks guys..great info...and thanks for the pics.

I called Yaesu today to try to get my answer straight from the horses mouth and they (tech support) said they didn't know and they'd have to call Japan to confirm. I emailed them later on and told them just to send me an 8XDR in the mail and I'll try it myself- quicker. If it works, I buy the radio, if it doesn't I'll send it back and pay whatever re-packing fee they wanted. And, I would give them a credit card number as a deposit. No reply on that email. I also called Ham Radio Outlet in New Castle, DE and they were reluctant to let me open up the 8XDR package that they had in-stock to check. Wow, can't believe these companies are so tight. I'd even pay a repacking fee. How the heck does Yaesu and their dealers make any $$ if they don't give the consumer an opportunity to try it out?

I can't see why it wouldn't work..the Cardo System in my helmet is Bluetooh 2.1, Class 1 which is backwards compatible with Bluetooh 1.2. Don't know if that's the issue or if it's with A2DP protocol...that I'm pretty sure that Yaesu is compatible with. Guess I have to bone-up on Bluetooth.

Am I being too cautious? I mean after all, when all said and done..when I buy the radio, extended life battery, Bluetooth adapter, antenna, etc. I'll be forking out close to $1000. I realize to some that may be chump change but to me it's a lot of money..so I want to be sure. Cheers Rob

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.