• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX-8R Question

kc0zps

May 18, 2009
Over the weekend, I decided to replace my Yaesu FT-60R with the Yaesu VX-8R. After messing with it for about a day, I have a few questions.

1) Can someone explain how the Smart Search feature works on the VX-8R? This was a handy feature on the FT-60R, but I'm having issues getting it to work on my new unit. I'm following the directions as indicated in the manual and nothing happens.

2) I have a Comet SMA-24 antenna which I used on my FT-60R and it worked great on the 70cm and 2m bands. Can this same antenna be used on my VX-8R and if so, will it work correctly on all of the bands (70cm, 2m, and 6m)?

it will not work for 6m.

i can only assume you missed something as this feature worked for me.

it will not work for 6m.

i can only assume you missed something as this feature worked for me.

Thanks for the response, C2. Anyway, I'm obviously missing something. Per the manual :

1) Set radio in VFO mode in the Mono band mode.
-Done.

2) Rotate the DIAL knob, while pressing and holding the MODE key to select "Smart Search" mode.
-Done. After a second or so, I see "smart search" at the top. Turning the dial knob displays two options : "Smart Search" and "CH Counter". I select "Smart Search"

3) Release the MODE key to begin the Channel Counter.
-huh? Releasing the MODE key changes the display to show "SMS" and "CNT" in the upper left hand corner of the screen. I see no channel counter beginning.

4) As active channels are detected, you will observe the number of "loaded" channels increasing in the regular memory channel window.
-This doesn't happen. Again, the display shows "SMS" and "CNT", but no search occurs.

Steps 5 and 6 are skipped since no scanning occurs.

7) To return to normal operation, press the MODE key.
Done. I can do this to return to VFO mode, but no scan occurred.

OK, this is completely retarded-It only took me an hour to figure this out tonight, because the Yaesu manual is incomplete on this feature. I had the same exact problem as KC0ZPS, so don't feel bad. The only way I figured it out is by reading my VX-2 manual and emulating the steps, which are similar but slightly different.

Anyway, here's how you do it:

1) Set radio in VFO mode in the Mono band mode.
-Done.

2) Rotate the DIAL knob, while pressing and holding the MODE key to select "Smart Search" mode.

3) Release the MODE key to begin the Channel Counter.

3A) MISSING INSTRUCTIONS - PRESS AND HOLD THE BAND KEY UNTIL THE SCAN STARTS.

(...)

7) To return to normal operation, press the MODE key.

8) MORE MISSING INSTRUCTIONS - To retrieve the SMS memories, repeat steps 1-3 to enter SMS mode. After that, rotate the dial to choose the desired SMS Memory. To return to normal operation, press the MODE key

Like I said, don't feel bad because this step isn't in the instructions. It seems that C2's VX-8 doesn't behave this way. I'm starting to think that there are some newer firmware versions being delivered.

2) I have a Comet SMA-24 antenna which I used on my FT-60R and it worked great on the 70cm and 2m bands. Can this same antenna be used on my VX-8R and if so, will it work correctly on all of the bands (70cm, 2m, and 6m)?

Yes it can be used on the VX-8r, but it should only be used to TX on 2m/440 bands. It will not work on 220 or 6m. I would recommend this antenna: Jetstream. It is EXACTLY the same as the Diamond Antenna (made by the same Chinese company) but is about 1/2 the price. I have used this antenna in the past and it works great on 2m/220/440. There isn't an HT antenna available that I'm aware of that also works on 6m, however.

moleculo,

Thank you for the instructions! I was going nuts trying to figure out why this wouldn't work...

Do you think there will be anyway to do firmware updates?

Rob

Yes it can be used on the VX-8r, but it should only be used to TX on 2m/440 bands. It will not work on 220 or 6m. I would recommend this antenna: Jetstream. It is EXACTLY the same as the Diamond Antenna (made by the same Chinese company) but is about 1/2 the price. I have used this antenna in the past and it works great on 2m/220/440. There isn't an HT antenna available that I'm aware of that also works on 6m, however.

Check out this antenna.

Diamond SRH-999 Amateur HT Antennas

If it doesn't have a low enough SWR at 220Mhz, you will probably pop the PA transistor in the radio. Either that, or the radio will cut the power back so much that it would be useless. So I wouldn't try it unless you want to pay for repairs.

If it doesn't have a low enough SWR at 220Mhz, you will probably pop the PA transistor in the radio. Either that, or the radio will cut the power back so much that it would be useless. So I wouldn't try it unless you want to pay for repairs.

So besides reading the instruction that come with an antenna, how would I know if I was about to screw up?

Or, If I built my own antenna, how do I know if I have an issue before it becomes a problem?

So besides reading the instruction that come with an antenna, how would I know if I was about to screw up?

Or, If I built my own antenna, how do I know if I have an issue before it becomes a problem?

The manufacturer is the only one who can state definitively how his product will work, under what conditions, for how long, etc. Anything beyond this you do at your own risk. It's called "experimenting", and it involves having quite a bit of test equipment, knowledge of what you're doing, and a spirit of adventure.

If you build your own antennas, you really should have an antenna analyzer of your own. It'll be your bestest friend a lot of the time.

OK, I have had time to think about it. I have laid out the spec. on my freq. chart. I don't get it. It looks like it skips a Freq. band. :confused: And I want to be able to TX out of the normal ham bands (Marine VHF, FRS/GMRS). :headbang

I understand more after talking with someone locally. Let me ask a very practical question. As I understand it, using the standard antenna, I can TX on 6m/2M/222/440MHz as well as Marine VHF, FRS/GMRS without harming anything. Is this correct?

(Note for anyone reading this later on, I consider this radio a SHTF/Emergency device. I will be going back to an area where if I have an accident, I can not pick up the phone to call home/911 or anything. At this point I don't know if this radio will even find someone who can/could help, but I might get lucky and find someone not in the normal HAM bands.)

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated