• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yeticom Optima 10/11/12 Meter Export Radio reviewed @ cbradiomagazine.com

If it's one of the 250 dollar ones from the guy in Michigan I would just send it back, if you mess with the seals they might void the warranty. Maybe that's why the good price

My buddy ordered it for me. I'm not sure where from exactly but he did say it was out of Michigan. You got me worried now!

From what I hear in other emails I get, this guy in Michigan is the US contact for the Optima radio, not from Yeticom. Seems the manfacture took it upon himself to sell the radio in the US market so if that is the case this US distributor will be the one to do the warranty stuff. Sure beats sending it back to China but will he fix them or just replace them. Is he set up for repairs? Time will tell. I can see an issue on the horizon brewing if the MKIII has problems.

Just picked one of these radios up.

So far so good. Only thing that worries me is the output seems a little low on SSB. Only getting about 15 watts out talking normally and about 20-25 with a whistle.

Ah! THe Cobra 200GTL, eh? Good radio! I have one. Check out this video,
video
which details an important adjustment, if you want the radio survive. (Out of the box, the bias was set too high which led to premature failure of the driver.)
Very rare rare radio today. They were not on the market long.

As far as the output of the Optima, when I reviewed mine (Mk I), I was getting a solid 45W out (whistle) and FM, and about 15W on AM. This was on a Bird 43 with a 100W 2-30 MHz slug. YMMV depending on wattmeter, DC V in, etc.

Like i said before my buddy ordered it for me from some place in Michigan. I couldn't tell you the name of the place but the radio is new and hes been dealing with the place for years.

All I need really need is the alignment procedure and I would be good. Seem to think that's all it really needs.

Never seen alignment info on the web yet. If it's a new radio then it should be under warranty. Key CB in Indiana is the new stateside warranty repair center.

Now, if'n your radio came from one of the "new" Optima dealers from Niles, Michigan, then I'm sure it has no warranty tamper seal (does it?) and might present a problem.

Maybe not, call the guy it came from or call/send it to Key CB. Or wait for the alignment procedure to be posted online somewhere.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.