• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yeticom Optima 10/11/12 Meter Export Radio reviewed @ cbradiomagazine.com

Huracan

Huracan is available but only in the 5khz step and 25-29.9mhz version
We seem to have maxed out what this design can do for now and will be switching to a smd board in the future. I do have a dozen or so of the last production available.

Huracan is available but only in the 5khz step and 25-29.9mhz version
We seem to have maxed out what this design can do for now and will be switching to a smd board in the future. I do have a dozen or so of the last production available.

In 13AT777's video on Youtube, I noticed echo controls on the prototype he tested.Was the echo removed in the final product?

Huracan

Echo and talk back are still there....
Just the same as Simon's prototype but starts at 25mhz. 28 and 29mhz bands are in 1mhz each. 25-27mhz are split in 2 bands of 500khz so we have all 8 band segments working. Band A-F 500khz bands. G and H 1mhz to give better coverage of the 10m band.
Less clicking to navigate the CB segment.
has the NZ 40ch on the switch by the channel selector as well

rgds,
Dave

microphone

DXman, we have added another 6db to the mic audio circuit so it can drive non standard mics a little harder. The hand mic it comes with on full mic gain may prove to be too loud for close stations at times but drives it great on FM for +/- 2khz deviation.
I use the standard mic as I am not seeing sufficient improvement with the SM20 icom mic. It also works well with the JCD 201M desk mic with no modifications.
The shift works throughout the range and can be stored in memory.
Memory and function on the Optima will remain as set until changed regardless of whether the radio is plugged in or not.
It also has a memory only scan function.
rgds,
Dave

I am just now completing my technical and operational review of the Optima. I just need to complete some final tests later today, and I'll post the review here.

Review of the Optima AM/FM/SSB HF Transceiver.

Review of the Optima AM/FM/SSB HF Transceiver.

A nice, compact and fun radio! I won't go into all the minutia of features, because CBRadiomagazine.com, and Transmission1 have covered that sufficiently. I will only deal with actual operating experiences and any deficiencies I've found.

As I said, it's a nice, compact and fun radio. Great receive audio. Very good sensitivity and quite adequate selectivity. The selectivity can be enhanced by enabling the additional IF filter. This filter works well under crowded QRM conditions. My first complaint is the apparent loss of sensitivity experienced when the filter is "in". I believe that an extra 6 to 10dB of stage gain after the filter would solve this problem. My other complaint is the length of time it takes for the filter to actually activate - 4 seconds - way too long in normal use. This should be shortened significantly.

All controls are tight without any backlash. (The backlash on my OmegaForce S45 is awful, particularly the clarifier; the Optima does not suffer from this at all.)

The fan is very quiet and works extremely well.

An other complaint is the squelch. Squelch action is extremely choppy, and sputters on weaker and more marginal signals. This is most likely due to lack of, or insufficient hysteresis in the circuit. Is there a hysteresis adjust pot on the board? This is an easy fix for the manufacturer.

On SSB, TX audio is excellent, with one contact reporting "very natural audio". FM TX audio was good. AM TX audio is slightly bassy, but still has plenty of audio. It is apparent that there is more than sufficient mic gain to over drive the radio, so we kept the mic at about 6” from the mouth to derive good TX AM audio. We had to turn the mic gain down sometimes so as not to generate some flat-topping distortion. This is not issue.

The radio's footprint is small, smaller than the typical "DX” 10M/export radio and so will fit in tight spaces in the mobile. The Optima is small enough to sit nicely on top of my dash in the "dip" next to the driver's instrument console, and low enough to clear the windshield and provide a clear view of the road without obstruction.

We tested the power output on a Bird 43 (non peak) with a 100H element - 100W, 2-30 Mhz. SSB: 45.5 W with a single tone. FM: 45.5W carrier. AM: 14.5W carrier with good positive modulation: (18W on audio peaks). We did not have a PEP meter available.

All in all, it’s a very fine, compact radio and quite a capable performer, with just the right features any active 10M ham would want, (and with the features that any radio operator would want too). For CB'ers the radio performs more than adequately. The only gripe I can see CB'ers having is that the CB band does not "roll over" at channel 40 (27.405 Mhz) or channel 1 (26.965 Mhz). It just continues up or down the 11M band. As well, for some CB'ers, the AM audio is a tad "full" or bassy; CB’ers might want more "loudness", rather than "full" (i.e.: natural) audio.

Oh and one last nice touch… the front escutcheon now reads “AM/FM/SSB HF TRANSCEIVER”, which is precisely what it is! (Now all Dave has to do is change that “CHANNEL” label to “FREQUENCY”.)

I have received my new Yeticom Optima Radio. I will put it to use hopefully this weekend. We have bad weather coming in, With possible Tornadoes, High winds and Hail. I will post my reviews at a later time.

I have received my new Yeticom Optima Radio. I will put it to use hopefully this weekend. We have bad weather coming in, With possible Tornadoes, High winds and Hail. I will post my reviews at a later time.

Yesterday, the NWS didn't have your area up for "Moderate Risk".
Conditions changed for the worse!
Congrats on your new radio.

Yesterday, the NWS didn't have your area up for "Moderate Risk".
Conditions changed for the worse!
Congrats on your new radio.

Robb,Last night the sirens went off and Thanks to the Ham Operators, I pick up their signal on a little Shortwave Radio. St Louis got hit hard last night. I am 2.75 hrs away. And more Severe Weather to come. I will get a chance to play with the radio tomorrow

73's n Happy Easter to you and your's

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated