• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yeticom Optima 10/11/12 Meter Export Radio reviewed @ cbradiomagazine.com

Well last night i put the Optima to the test in my mobile, While making my deliveries. This little radio has great receive on it. The filtering system is great. ( when passing semi-trucks, some of the drivers use a power converter which throws off a 60 cycle hum in your radio ) And this little unit surprised me with all the features it has. I just purchased an Rci-2950dx. So i may sell this little beauty. Sorry but i am so use to the Rci-radios. This time i will keep this 2950dx AND NO TRADING IT OFF. Those are the words from my wife. More testing to come tonight.

73's
Leonard

Another test done last night. This is on AM only. Later tonight, I will do some testing on SSB. As noted, I do NOT have a power meter to measure DK Wts. or PEP. OK Dave mention at the highest peak on RF Power knob turned all the way up DK 15 wts. Don't know pep swing. I talked to my friend on his Galaxy base with a super penetrator antenna. I am using a Wilson 1000 mag mount antenna on my Dodge Caravan W/B I-44 from Springfield Mo. in route to Joplin Mo. I talked 32 miles on AM-up and down hills. For not having a linear, That is darn good in my book. Also i received his signal at 38 miles away. The receive is fantastic in this unit. I will be doing some more testing on this unit, And Friday i will take this to radio to my tech and see what it does on his Dosy meter.
So far, This is a great little 10-meter radio.

Dave why did the 24 mhz get dropped, and how well is the echo/Talkback?
Do you still have some with the 24 mhz ?

I guess I got it mixed up with the Huracan model? sorry my bad
Ah, the Huracan! Nice radio. Dave told me in an email, that they were suspending production of the Huracan, until they can get some bugs out. Apparently the old design was becoming problematic and they are retooling for SMD.

We got our Optima this week - first impressions are very positive.

Receive is very good, TX output on SSB is a solid 45-50 watts. Fan keeps the heatsink cool and there is no noise in the radio from the fan.

AM swing was on the low side from the factory, slight adjustment to the AMC and it now swings nicely.

The IF filter really quiets down all the noise but these is more loss in sensitivity on signals than I expected. The DX is still very active so I hope to experiment more with the filter and see the results.

The display is the bright white and is visible from extreme angles in all directions except from down low looking up (which you would never run into most likely). You can see the display from very sharp angles which is really nice in the mobile and easy to read.

More to come.

Huracan

We are trying to pull the Huracan down to 24.5 and increase the steps to 1khz 5khz and 100khz from the display brightness control but we are having problems with stability so we stopped and concentrated on the Optima but we will go back to the Huracan. 24.5mhz is OK but we may have to revert to 3khz on the slide to get full coverage. I love the huracan but I miss the memories and the 1khz steps of the optima...If we can't get it to do what we want we are working on an SMD replacement board with all the features of the Optima but in the Huracan package. I also would not mind bringing out something similar to the emperor ts-5010. A bit big for a mobile but I think we could fit our 100w PEP PA in it and still keep all the features. Don't hold your breath!

I tried SSB for the first time this morning 0700hrs. from my driveway in Southwest Missouri and Qsl with unit 25 up in Chesapeake Bay. And 511 in Virginia. this was on 27.375 lsb. The SSB works great. The IF Filter does take out a lot of excess noise, maybe too much. As stated this unit goes to my tech tomorrow to be put on a meter. All in all this is a great little unit with a lot of features that some of the bigger models have. I am impressed with this unit.

were can this radio be bought at?does it come with 11 meter in it when purchased
Until Dave get some distributorships going, the only place to get them is from YeticomNZ . Contact Dave at: 91dd018@gmail.com
We are working on a distributor for Canada.

Stock, out of the box, the radio covers 12M, 11M (including CB) and all of 10M.
Check out: Yeticom Optima 10/11/12 Meter Export Radio Review
This is a real HF radio and behaves like one. No "noise-toys' or roger beeps, or echo or any of that nonsense. Just a good HF radio that does the job.

Triple nickel - I just want to order Optima for myself. My only concern is noise filtering. Test on youtube shows the radio in perfect home environment. But my current car is pretty noisy (I mean all the electronic stuff) and my radio (Uniden 68 LTW) is not filtering this good enough (even powered directly from car-battery). I know that all cars are different but anyway did you notice any noise from yours car engine/steering wheel etc. using Optima ?

Triple nickel - I just want to order Optima for myself. My only concern is noise filtering. Test on youtube shows the radio in perfect home environment. But my current car is pretty noisy (I mean all the electronic stuff) and my radio (Uniden 68 LTW) is not filtering this good enough (even powered directly from car-battery). I know that all cars are different but anyway did you notice any noise from yours car engine/steering wheel etc. using Optima ?

I got some noise from my windshield wipers, Keep in mind this using a mag mount Wilson 1000. Magnum makes a 20amp noise filter. I have not tried this yet but i do believe i will give it a try. Also i was running the Optima into the lighter plug. The Optima has an excellent filtering system in it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.