• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yeticom Optima 10/11/12 Meter Export Radio reviewed @ cbradiomagazine.com

I understand how us radio guys get crazy about a new radio but really sit and look at this from a 257 point of view. The 257HP really does 80+ watts, will go to all the frequencies that this Optima will and the 257 is 140 dollars cheaper. I don't mind pushing a few extra buttons to get it to change banks of frequencies for more watts and less money, Just my 2 cents, I was ready to do the order then got my 257HP out, used it for awhile and I was like what the heck am I doing? I think if the price was in the 250 to 275 range that would be a lot more interesting but 365, that's a lot more than the 257HP

I understand how us radio guys get crazy about a new radio but really sit and look at this from a 257 point of view. The 257HP really does 80+ watts, will go to all the frequencies that this Optima will and the 257 is 140 dollars cheaper. I don't mind pushing a few extra buttons to get it to change banks of frequencies for more watts and less money, Just my 2 cents, I was ready to do the order then got my 257HP out, used it for awhile and I was like what the heck am I doing? I think if the price was in the 250 to 275 range that would be a lot more interesting but 365, that's a lot more than the 257HP
Fair enough, you made your choice. I looked at the 257HP long and hard, before rejecting it. BTW - the 257HP puts out about 45W (SSB), on a whistle or a two-tone, same like the OPTIMA. This is approximately about ~90W PEP.
The decoding factor against the 257HP, for me, was the tuning concept: Sure it tunes in 1 Khz steps but that tuning range is limited to a 10 Khz range that rotates back to the original frequency. Useless for me for tuning a band. The OPTIMA tunes continuously across the band. No rotating (a feature I like since it replicates the way a true amateur HF rig tunes). As well, it defaults to 5 Khz steps, useful for tuning around. When I find someone just off of "0" or "5", it's easy to tune in 1 khz steps. I also love that built-in fan; it's very useful and efficient.

Finally, up here in Canada, the 257HP's are slightly more expensive, (due to shipping and taxes) thus equalizing the price difference for the OPTIMA.

I agree with you on all points but the 257 I'm talking about is the one with the RFX75 unit on the back. I can see what you mean about shipping also, I have sold a few radios to Canada residents and yes the postage is crazy, makes no sense to me unless going through customs is where the cost factor comes into play, heck we are neighbors if I can send a radio 3000 miles to California for 15 bucks why is it 35 dollars to go 800 miles to Canada

I agree with you on all points but the 257 I'm talking about is the one with the RFX75 unit on the back. I can see what you mean about shipping also, I have sold a few radios to Canada residents and yes the postage is crazy, makes no sense to me unless going through customs is where the cost factor comes into play, heck we are neighbors if I can send a radio 3000 miles to California for 15 bucks why is it 35 dollars to go 800 miles to Canada
Since I don't have a 257HP, I have to rely on my OmegaForce S45HP since it also has the RFX75 on the backplane. It only puts out about 45W (average) on my Bird (non-PEP) meter. This is approximately about ~90W PEP more or less.

Yes shipping to Canada can be pricy. By mail, we get dinged for federal and provincial taxes (about 13%) plus the shipping. Remember we are going through two postal administrations, and thus have to pay both of them! Canada Post wont deliver it for free! (You pay the up-front costs, which are then shared by both postal admins.) If by delivery service (UPS/FedEx), we have to cover the above costs, plus a brokerage charge. About ~$25.00 for FedEx, and an exorbitant, usurious $50.00 and more for UPS!!! Needless to say, I never ship UPS across the border! It all adds up.

whats the postal cost for a letter within Canada? I think it's 45 cents here
Standard First Class is 59 cents within Canada, $1.03 to the U.S., and $1.75 to Europe. Depends on the size of the envelope. The above is for a standard size (#9/#10) envelope. "Oversize" costs more.

12 meters ?

Can the 257 do 24.89-24.99? Or just 10 and 11 and down to 25 mhz and not quite catch the rest of 12 meters.

Can the 257 do 24.89-24.99? Or just 10 and 11 and down to 25 mhz and not quite catch the rest of 12 meters.
Unfortunately, no. The lowest frequency it will cover is 25.165, the highest is 29.699.

The only other radios that will cover 12M is the Superstar 158EDX, and the General Grant, as far as I know. (I own both those radios because of their 12M coverage, amongst other reasons.)

The OPTIMA's coverage of 12M was another reason I chose it.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, no. The lowest frequency it will cover is 25.165, the highest is 29.699.

The only other radios that will cover 12M is the Superstar 158EDX, and the General Grant, as far as I know. (I own both those radios because of their 12M coverage, amongst other reasons.)

Same here, thanks.

Ed, You forgot about the Rci-2950dx that covers 12m. And yes i am using my 2950dx, But i will say this much, The Optima is one fine radio that i may purchase another one and keep it this time and use this for a Base Station.

Ed, You forgot about the Rci-2950dx that covers 12m. And yes i am using my 2950dx, But i will say this much, The Optima is one fine radio that i may purchase another one and keep it this time and use this for a Base Station.
D'oh! How could I forget the RCI's!!! :oops:

The only RCI I own is a 5054DX which is their 6M radio. I have used the 2950's in the past. Good radio, but I always preferred my 2510.

I'm seriously thinking of getting another OPTIMA. I like it's size, which in my Honda can be a problem.

D'oh! How could I forget the RCI's!!! :oops:

The only RCI I own is a 5054DX which is their 6M radio. I have used the 2950's in the past. Good radio, but I always preferred my 2510.

I'm seriously thinking of getting another OPTIMA. I like it's size, which in my Honda can be a problem.

Ed, you are a True Friend to a lot of us.

73's n Take care my friend.

Leonard
Lima-Delta 527

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?