• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yeticom Optima 10/11/12 Meter Export Radio reviewed @ cbradiomagazine.com

I need you to save one for me, I should have all the funds in 2 weeks. AND THIS TIME I WILL NOT GET RID OF IT FOR NOTHING. Best Darn Radio i had in a long time. Yea i kick my self in the butt on a daily basis, Just like i did when i traded off my Ar-3500 back in '91.
73's to ya Dr.Dave
Darn tootin'!!! I'm using mine right now for Field Day! I'm matching mine up with an old Realistic DSP40 DSP, and the combo is unbeatable!!!

Was at the Ham Show in Germany at the weekend and on the Yaesu stand under the brand name Sommerkamp was the TS-799DX and guess what? It was an Optima under the sticker

Collected another version of the Optima as have a prototype before and will make some tests the next days also. Seems they will now be imported into Germany(y) Brilliant news and already compiling a list of people that have shown interest in this excellent radio

If anyone is thinking of changing out the microphone in this rig, Radio-Mart has the much sought after, and fully compatible Japanese mic.: Icom HM-36 for only $40., brand new. I have one on my rig, and I get glowing reports on my audio. The output is so high, that I need to turn down my mic gain. Highly recommended.

optima

well I have had lots of radios I am a radio ham and a cber and this is the best 10meter radio I have ever owned its great I have spoken to the guy who designed it and he as told me all about the radio its well worth buying if you need a 10meter radio go for this. David M0SAY

Last edited:
well I have had lots of radios I am a radio ham and a cber and this is the best 10meter radio I have ever owned its great I have spoken to the guy who designed it and he as told me all about the radio its well worth buying if you need a 10meter radio go for this. David M0SAY
Well, as enthusiastic as I am about the OPTIMA, (and make no mistake, it is a superb radio), my hands down favorite is still the HR2510. I think they both compare quite favorably with each other. I would say that the OPTIMA would be even better if it only had 100hz increments. It's a tie - the OPTIMA's excellent features vs. 100hz tuning.

100hz tuning

At the moment the problem is the extra digit.
What if were were to include the step but not the digit?
Those that didn't know and didn't want it wouldn't use it. Those that needed it would have to count the clicks!
After 10 clicks the 1khz digit would jump up or down...problem matical for some and a boon to others....Thinking about all these things but it is swings and roundabouts with a radio as compact as the OPtima!
appreciate all the comments and we do listen...
dave

OPtima

Buy in cartons of ten for a decent discount in price and another saving in freight costs.
These radios are more expensive to build than the normal 10m export radio..about 50% more. Hence the price.
Fan, filter, factory tune...it all adds up
rgds,
Dave

Yes GW's Labor is high. I am not knocking on anyone trying to put out a good product and make a buck.
Just know how the market is these days.

10m market

Tough indeed when we have Anytone flooding the market with the variants of the AT-5555 at give away prices! But you don't have to send our radios to kucher Hans in Germany to make them work, or wait till you get to version 5 to get the bugs worked out! Got to hand it to them though....they did something that has finally shocked the rest of the industry to stand up and take note.
And they did it on their own .....Just wish it was a little simpler to use!
We will continue down our road in a slightly different direction. Not everybody wants to drive a Ford!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.