• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

your favorite CB myth , lies and legends .

My favorite myth is that if you purchase cb radio related items from a well known forum member that they will actually send you the items you purchased within a reasonable amount of time...

4) To get out you need lots of swing in your AM signal. Wrong.
An AM signal is fully modulated when the "swing" doubles the carrier.
That is to reach 100% modulation a 4 watt key should swing no more than 8 watts. Anything more than that is distortion to your voice.
The AM carrier is necessary for the receiver to properly demodulate the audio from the signal. If you add excessive swing it will distort your audio. It will not help you get out better.

Don't know where you got that from Delta but it's totally wrong,an AM signal when 100% modulated will give 6w average power and 15.6w pep.As each sideband contains 25% of the carrier power at 100% modulation which is 6w avg power and the pep power is 3.9 times the unmodulated carrier avg power or 2.6 times the 100% modulated avg power.

13) Whistling in your mic is bad for the tubes in an RF amplifier. Not really, but tuning up your amplifier ten times a day is. If you repeatedly whistled for long durantions of time you may shorten the life of your amps tubes, but one quick whistle should not hurt a thing provided you are not over driving your amp.

Whistling into the mike puts undue stress on both the amp and radio final stages,not a good idea.

7) Exaggerated antenna gain claims for single element omni directional antennas. On the 27 MHz CB band, the taller a vertical omni directional antenna the higher the gain up to about 23 feet.*
After 23 feet the gain of the antenna begins to decrease.
There is no magic bullet to escape this rule.
The highest real gain omni-directional CB antennas currently on the market are the full length 5/8 wave and .64 wave antennas.
1/2 antennas have less gain than 5/8 wave and .64 wave antennas, and 1/4 wave antennas have less gain than .64 wave, 5/8 wave, and 1/2 wave antennas.

That explains why the avanti sigma 4 and vector 4000 amongst other similar antennas have the most gain,duhhhh,not everything is as clear cut as you make out.

** The Antron 99 claims to be a 1/2 wave over a 1/4 wave antenna, and it is. What they do not tell you is the bottom 1/4 wave section is for matching purposes only, and only the top 1/2 wave section radiates any appreciable power.
For gain comparisons consider it a 1/2 wave antenna.

What they actually don't tell you is they didn't supply the bottom half,therefore it will use your coax and most likely cause severe rfi due to common mode currents on the outside of the shield.

As for you coax theories and devotion too signal engineering's website I suggest you actually read websites that have got a scooby what they are talking about,because that one has many misconceptions and loads of innacurate info,not to mention a conceited title,the ultimate guide to 11m antenna,unbelievable !!!

My favourite myths are the 9.9 dbi gain of Antron 99's and echo chambers sound good,wtf ? only if your deaf,dumb and stupid.

dual antennas

If one antenna is good an your pickup truck, then one on each mirror should be even better right?

signal engineering's website I suggest you actually read websites that have got a scooby what they are talking about,because that one has many misconceptions and loads of innacurate info.

I sent a polite email to the site when I first ran across it a few years ago, pointing out as nicely as I could a few things. Never heard from them, and they haven't changed anything.

I sent a polite email to the site when I first ran across it a few years ago, pointing out as nicely as I could a few things. Never heard from them, and they haven't changed anything.

I think I covered that under "conceited title",Rick,lol.thats social (not signal) engineering more commonly known as narcissism,or as I call it,the "HOW CAN I POSSIBLY BE WRONG ?" syndrome.

Last edited:
Thats one of those ones if you hear it often enough you still won't believe it.
It used to be to get your license, you had to draw the schematic to your radio and explain how it worked. Now they give the licenses out in Cracker Jacks boxes.
Rich

It used to be to get your license, you had to draw the schematic to your radio and explain how it worked. Now they give the licenses out in Cracker Jacks boxes.
Rich

I ain't complaing,dumbing down ham radio got most of the knob jockeys off 11m and onto 2m,can only be a good thing,lol.

Now they can "qrz dx,qrz dx" into the local repeater all day long,pmsl.

Most of them would be hard pressed to draw a sketch of their radios let alone a schematic,as for explaining how it worked,pmsl,that would take you well into the realms of science fiction.

Reactions: IMD262
i also like the guys that say the ARRL book is outdated and no longer relevant .

thats usually one of the battle cries of the "HOW CAN I POSSIBLY BE WRONG ?" group . LOL

did the laws of the universe and how RF acts in it change ?

HCIPBR

My alltime favorite myth is that on ssb its often said that i,m off freq when in actuality your the one that is off freq.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.