• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2 meter License

triple nickle

Dec 7, 2009
Heart of the Ozarks Nixa Mo.
I was interested in finding some info about a 2 meter license. Do you need to do morse code (that is what kept me away for a long long time ) from studying for a ham ticket. Sorry folks i just cant get the morse code goin in my head. Like my father said too much ol rock-n-roll. I heard there is a no code license but would that cover 2 meter and would radio shack sell the book on the how-to ?? Thank you for all info i can get. Merry Christmas

Morse code has been dropped for all clsses of amateur tickets,just a written test is required now,35 questions for tech and general and 50 questions for extra class

I took the practice tests at QRZ.com for my upgrade to general and passed with no trouble at all.

Keep in mind that to get your general class ticket you will have to also take the tech class test and pass it first...it is a progression thing

Using Qrz it should be quite easy to learn ( or simply memorize ) the right answers..

Once you are doing consistent 80's to 90's your good to go..

It can take you a day to tops 2 weeks ( depending on your resolve)

is there someone who i can talk too, trying to find my 2 meter license. it was ussuied when i worked for express shuttle to talk to the mines and trains on 24 and other channels and the trainmaster on 66

is there someone who i can talk too, trying to find my 2 meter license. it was ussuied when i worked for express shuttle to talk to the mines and trains on 24 and other channels and the trainmaster on 66

I doubt that was a ham ticket. Maybe GMRS?

It may have been GMRS but most certainly was NOT an amateur license for 2m or anything else in the amateur service.

GMRS= General Mobile Radio Service

General Mobile Radio Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another great site for practice exams is AA9PW.com. If you want a really good licensing book go to W5YI.org and find the technician licensing book by Gordon West. He explains every question that may appear on the test. Good luck!

Mark K7OWG

It sounds like you were talking on railroad frequencies. Their channel numbers go that high and would be appropriate for talking to trains.
Whatever that license was it has absolutely nothing to do with Amateur radio or the 2 meter amateur band.
You'll need to study up and take the Technician class exam if you want to transmit on 2 meters.
Good luck with the studying. It's not too tough for someone with a little technical knowledge.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.