• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2950 vs 2950DX

Nitmare67

Sep 15, 2008
I have an opportunity to pick up either of these 2 radios for basically 125.00

They are both in excellent shape and have been unlocked for cbs also............ what my real question is though which radio is better? I know the dx has a wider range of frequencies it can be used on but I cant use them because I am not licensed. I hope to be within the next year but as of now no......

Just not sure which way to go I guess. I have never had the chance to fool with either one of them really. This radio will spend time as both my base and in my pickup.

Thanks guys.

"I know the dx has a wider range of frequencies it can be used on but I cant use them because I am not licensed."

i wouldnt worry about being legal because once the radio is modified to work on CB channels its an illegal device anyhow for both ham and cb use . if you dont talk on the ham (10 and 12 meters) you dont have to worry about being caught . no license required to just listen .

that being said , ive read on many forums about people singing the praises on the 2950/2970 RCI's . the general feeling i get from READING about them is they're the cleanest exports out there but cant measure up to a true ham radio . ive also read about white noise issue......i forget if theres a mod to fix it . the dx series seems to be a better radio than the non dx series according to what ive read . $125 for a used one in good condition is a good deal , ive seen them for less on the forums over the past few months though .

heres some info in the dx model .
CB World Informer September 2001 Web Edition.

id get the DX , convert it to cb and use 10 and 12 meter when you get your ticket (if youre really really worried about getting caught) and just tell people on CB youre running a cobra or uniden .

really though , as long as you dont act like a fool and draw attention to yourself , the chances of getting caught or in trouble are pretty much nill .

P.S. welcome to the forum :)

i wouldnt worry about being legal because once the radio is modified to work on CB channels its an illegal device anyhow for both ham and cb use .

Actually it is perfectly legal to use on the ham freqs either before or after modding it for 11m. I thought that subject was pretty much beaten to death on all the forums out there.

Thanks for the replys and the welcome!

I know its illegal to use one on cb but I am not cranking out power or any other garbage. I have a 60' tower and I am just going to toss a 5/8wave groundplane on it and call it a day. Shouldnt need a bunch of power with the right antenna setup.

I actually missed out on the dx though! already sold. The regular RCI is still available and actually in very nice shape so I might just pick that one up.

Actually it is perfectly legal to use on the ham freqs either before or after modding it for 11m. I thought that subject was pretty much beaten to death on all the forums out there.

True but the radio should not be capable of producing more that 4 watts AM or 12 watts ssb on 11 meter frequencies no matter what license you hold.

my bad . i thought once it was modified to work out of its designated range that it was illegal . thanks for the correction .

Booty I kinda agree with you, if they are so legal try selling one on e-bay and see what happens.

whoa whoa whoa guys. Calm down this was simple a question of mine not a debate. We all know the laws and regulations do not permit such radios on 11 meters. Those that choose to do so do at their own risk.

I appreciate all of the feedback and assistance. Thanks again

If I remember correctly, the DX had a better front end (receive) on it. I seem to remember that Bill Good met with Ranger and gave recommendations directly on how to improve the front end on the 2950. I seem to remember that not all suggestions were incorporated, but there were improvements.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated