• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2SB829 AM regulator getting got in ss3900

Damo666

Jan 10, 2009
Hi guys. I've done a search but not found an answer to my question. I use a new ss3900 blue led version with dual mosfet finals(not sure if it's Crt or Ranger). For some reason, after about 30 mins of talking the 2sb827(tr51) gets real hot and the mic plug gets quite warm as a result. This happens using a fixed carrier of 10w on fm. If i were to drop my power to about 4 watts would it allow it to run cooler or will it run at this temp regardless? I feel that if it continuously runs like this i'm going to be replacing them every few months. Any help on this is very much appreciated. Regards. Damian.

Hell yeah they get hot, i haven't head much about them blowing...
You talk alot of fm?????
On am keep it on low and let it ride.....
I've had a bunch of the new connex mosfet radios through here and they all got hot after a few minutes of use.
If you are REAL concerned about it you can cut your case and get a heatsink off another export and put it on the side of your radio....hahaha.

Yeah if you want to run one of these cheaper exports at full output on FM, you may want to....this has a little heat sink on the back right? ....you want want to rig up a little 2 inch computer cpu type 12 volt box fan to across it.

No heat sink? then you'll have to do something else. Turn the power back in half to 5 watts. I doubt that will make much if any difference to the party you're talking to.

interview.gif

I've reduced the fm/am carrier to 4 watts, but it's still getting pretty hot. In fact there appears to be little difference. I'll just sit it out and hope that the component doesn't fry after long term usage.

Hi guys. I've done a search but not found an answer to my question. I use a new ss3900 blue led version with dual mosfet finals(not sure if it's Crt or Ranger). For some reason, after about 30 mins of talking the 2sb827(tr51) gets real hot and the mic plug gets quite warm as a result. This happens using a fixed carrier of 10w on fm. If i were to drop my power to about 4 watts would it allow it to run cooler or will it run at this temp regardless? I feel that if it continuously runs like this i'm going to be replacing them every few months. Any help on this is very much appreciated. Regards. Damian.

Any mods done to this radio? A bad mod can cause TR51 to run hot especially if voltages have been jumped from factory.

No mods have been done. I've even reduced the power to 4 watts and the left hand side of the transceiver still gets pretty warm. I've decided to use a mini fan, it's blowing on the rear of the radio behind the power lead and is keeping it reasonably cool now. It's a very poorly designed radio though, there's no two ways about it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?