• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AM Radio Kits

I remember back in the day when I was a cub scout. I built my own radio out of a toilet paper tube and some junk wire - in a cigar box. The tough part was getting/finding a piece of Gallium. Capacitor was made from tin foil and wax paper. All of the instructions for this project came right out of my scout handbook. I then used a safety pin as the cat whisker. Boy, was I surprised when I made it work!

I remember back in the day when I was a cub scout. I built my own radio out of a toilet paper tube and some junk wire - in a cigar box. The tough part was getting/finding a piece of Gallium. Capacitor was made from tin foil and wax paper. All of the instructions for this project came right out of my scout handbook. I then used a safety pin as the cat whisker. Boy, was I surprised when I made it work!

hah those days were fun for sure

My first kit was the old Science Fair shortwave from Radio Shack back in the late 70's it was great.
My last was the Tentec 1254 and I have to say it was awesome, I would love to build another for the experience as well as having a decent extra receiver in the shack.

Gallium? Germanium I can see, but gallium??

I guess gallium would be usable for the "crystal" (the safety pin catwhisker was touching the gallium, right?). I used to use a piece of iron pyrites (fools gold) for my crystal - I had a piece about the size of a large marble, and it was very responsive.

These days, grab a 1N34 from RadShack and go with it.

Where did you find the gallium?

I guess gallium would be usable for the "crystal" (the safety pin catwhisker was touching the gallium, right?). I used to use a piece of iron pyrites (fools gold) for my crystal - I had a piece about the size of a large marble, and it was very responsive.

I got it from my older sisters rock collection.
She didn't mind.
It worked!

I'm with you Pat. Pure gallium will melt when held in your hand. I have heard of using germanium but never gallium.

Gee Robb, if you mixed that gallium with some arsenic you could have made a gallium-arsenide FET (Ga-As FET) preamp for your crystal set. :D

I'm with you Pat. Pure gallium will melt when held in your hand. I have heard of using germanium but never gallium.

Gee Robb, if you mixed that gallium with some arsenic you could have made a gallium-arsenide FET (Ga-As FET) preamp for your crystal set. :D

Hey, making/building my first radio at age 9 makes me the original radio operator!
Next step: An Elecraft K-3!
:D

Might need one of those nifty cauldrons to mix the stuff up. Try diagonalley dot com ;)

Tried to enter an actual web address, but the post comes up "Website Under Construction". Who knew?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.