• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ameritron

I love my Ameritrons and they really do have a great line of products to choose from. It is a bit pricey but yet QUALITY AND THATS WHERE MONEY SPENT COUNTS!! Buy one take care of it it will be on your bench until you leave this world or atleast hit your death bed ;)

I have the AL-800H...Nice little box but it can run hot if you decide to really run it wide open, though. I melted the LF coil on mine and had to send it in for repairs. It's not that hard to replace the part except that you have to disassemble 1/2 the box to do it.

I saw all of their amps with the lids off at Dayton this year. That AL-1500 sure looks good in person.

Ameritron is probably the cheapest manufacturer of legitimate amplifiers. The only thing I would warn any potential buyer is that you had better know what you are doing, and/or be able to read the manual, and pay attention to their recommendations. They don't make those recommendations to keep you 'legal', mostly they're there to keep you from buying new tubes.
You can get away with over driving most of their amplifiers a tiny bit, sort of. The one exception is that AL-1500, and that's because the tube isn't forgiving at all. The key words in that is 'tiny bit'.
As far as I'm concerned the AL-80 is the bottom of the line. The 811's and 572's are on the way out, they just are not going to be as common or cheap as they were at one time. All 'glass' tubes are going that way, some just have more usefulness than others.
That's not a prediction as much as it is from just watching things over the last couple dozen years. Take it or leave it.
- 'Doc

Beetle I meant the 4 tube I figured I better clear that up it really mess some people or kids up if they dont catch the mistake some would even have to to check at Ameritron and it really flustered them.

Anyways I have a amplifier I been using for a few years now that runs 572B tubes in it they actually held up well although like anything else there would be mixed feelings on this tube. I actually looked at the 811A and seen the tube swapout for the 572B and would have also thought of that aswell.

I use this amplifier everyday and its been real good to me I was told that some of these tubes will eventually be a thing of the passed the (572B and afew others along with the old sweep tubes) not to confuse anyone with thinking all tubes in general are going out with the tide. I have one of the ameritron solidstate amplifiers aswell and it also is nice because of its ease of use there are better amplifiers out there but 1 guess what I have works for me so Im happy.

Theres alot of people who dont like Ameritron,MFJ. ETC. I have been pretty happy or maybe lucky in a sense but all in all what I have has been working pretty well. I often look at those crazy solidstate power cubes I cant remember but I think its SGC??? Im sure if this is wrong Ill be corrected by someone dying to correct me or just trolling through. Im not sure if you have looked into these Im not sure about them. Ohh and sorry for the confusion this may have caused for some but we got it all fixed now.

Last edited:
I hope I didn't offend 225TonyV. I thought that maybe Ameritron released something new at the Dayton Hamfest. I myself run a 4 tube 572B Dentron Clipperton L.

If I did something to offend you I'm sorry. That was not my intention.

W5LZ
I been looking at those Emtrons and those are really something very well put together but they have one hell of a price tag and I tell you my wife who is also a Amateur Operator would need a pretty damn good excuse for me wanting to spend the greenbacks for one of those LMAO! I would certainly have to sell some of the closet full I have here now.

What do think of those/?? Or how about those Tokyo High Power Amplifiers?

Last edited:
I watched a few of those videos there really cool I kind of freaked when I seen th people average people at work just putting those amplifiers together but then again ITS A JOB and there trained to do a specific part I was thinking how crazy it would be to say Mom my amp is acting up can you look at it quick LMAO!!??

The ability to assemble an amplifier is not the same skill as tuning and testing an amplifier.

Those ladies are very good with their hands and good assemblers, but might possibly know nothing about how to bench-test the units they build. Often these are separate tasks performed by separate people.

So the cats out of the bag has anyone else here seen the new AL-572 yet? It sports the 4 / 572B tubes in it ;) Grab yourself a new 09 book its in there and advertised :)

So the cats out of the bag has anyone else here seen the new AL-572 yet? It sports the 4 / 572B tubes in it ;) Grab yourself a new 09 book its in there and advertised :)
What's new about this amp. Been out for several years. Don't see any changes in it. Everyone is waiting for the ALS 1300 solid state though.
Rich

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.