• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna restriction

KQ9U

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Dec 8, 2010
Indiana
I've talked to the HOA and have gotten permission to erect a tower up to 40' but I'm limited on the type of antenna. I can't put up any kind of beam or similar large antenna. I'm pretty much restricted to a straight vertical type antenna.

What would be a good choice for a HF antenna at 40'.

I know it's screwy, but I've got to live with it.

One other thing. The tower would have to be placed next to my house and I would be very limited on putting down any ground radials.

Can you do an inverted V on this 40 footer?

I might be able to. I have a G5RV Jr now at about 40' high in a tree on one end and on top of a basketball goal on the other end. I risked putting it up without requesting permission and nobody has noticed it, or if they have they haven't said anything. It sort of blends in and isn't real obvious.

I had an R6000 on a 40' tower before I put up a Force 12 C-3SS. It worked pretty well and comes with radials. Anything below 20m and you need wire in the air. As I recall the R6000 was easy to assemble and high quality. Don't even consider one of the MFJ verticals. Reviews are bad and they are cheaply made.

Cushcraft Amateur Radio Antennas

Antennas by Mosley Electronics, Inc.

http://www.new-tronics.com/main/manual/4btv.pdf

I have run both of these years ago...except the Hustler version I left the 40m Trap off and made it a 20/15/10m Vertical (they use to sell it that way) Had it mounted on 24ft of cheap tower and used 4 wire FLAT rotor cable for radials(3 pieces) also used the tower...worked pretty damn well during the 70's sunspot cycle...basicaly 1/4 wave GP on each band...

OH Rat...not to bust you bubble on Cushcraft...
But guess who owns them!... along with Wilson / Hygain and Telex....
mfj! :whistle:OMG!
All the Best
BJ

How well would a Hustler 5-BTV work on a tower next to my house?

I wouldn't be able to install radial wires in all directions.

How well would a Hustler 5-BTV work on a tower next to my house?

I wouldn't be able to install radial wires in all directions.

Save money and get the 4BTV. The 80m option is absolutely useless anyways.

I would actually advise against the tower entirely, and say just for you to put a regular old dipole in the trees.

Not a G5RV, just a regular old dipole.

Plus, hasn't the FCC ruled that since amateur radio is a public service, HOAs can't restrict antennas?

Maybe I'll just do that. Take down the G5RV and put up dipoles for each frequency I want to use.

Plus, hasn't the FCC ruled that since amateur radio is a public service, HOAs can't restrict antennas?

No; the HOA is a private contract you enter at closing. No one is forcing you to sign it, but if you don't, you won't be buying the house/condo/whatever.

Some HOAs are functionally nonexistent. We bought this place in 1976; the very first people to live in this house. The contract was very plain: there IS a Homeowner's Association; they have the right to impose dues; you can't put up antennas without the approval of the "Architectural Control Committee (ACC)"; you can't have any chain-link fences; you can't park RVs or boats in your driveway or anyplace visible from the street; you have to paint your house "earth tones" ... and on and on. When I went to the chairman of the HOA, I found that they had moved. The head of the ACC approved my tower/antenna, so I put it in.

There hasn't been any HOA activity in this development at all; I've never paid a cent of dues nor been billed for them. If anybody comes up with an objection to the antenna, I will produce the approved documents, and I will not take any action to remove it until all the chain link fences, non-Earth Tone paint jobs, boats (ha!) and RVs (HA!) and other 'illegal' 'eyesores' are gone. And maybe not even then. (HAR!)

We bought this place in 1976; the very first people to live in this house. The contract was very plain: there IS a Homeowner's Association; they have the right to impose dues; you can't put up antennas without the approval of the "Architectural Control Committee (ACC)"; you can't have any chain-link fences; you can't park RVs or boats in your driveway or anyplace visible from the street; you have to paint your house "earth tones" ... and on and on. When I went to the chairman of the HOA, I found that they had moved. The head of the ACC approved my tower/antenna, so I put it in.

There hasn't been any HOA activity in this development at all; I've never paid a cent of dues nor been billed for them. If anybody comes up with an objection to the antenna, I will produce the approved documents, and I will not take any action to remove it until all the chain link fences, non-Earth Tone paint jobs, boats (ha!) and RVs (HA!) and other 'illegal' 'eyesores' are gone. And maybe not even then. (HAR!)

Consider yourself fortunate.;)

Yep if you sign an HOA contract you've given up your rights voluntarily and if you choose to re nig you'll have to sell to someone else and transfer the agreement to them.

Unless you decide not to build then you don't have a tower.

Antennas by Mosley Electronics, Inc.

http://www.new-tronics.com/main/manual/4btv.pdf

I have run both of these years ago...except the Hustler version I left the 40m Trap off and made it a 20/15/10m Vertical (they use to sell it that way) Had it mounted on 24ft of cheap tower and used 4 wire FLAT rotor cable for radials(3 pieces) also used the tower...worked pretty damn well during the 70's sunspot cycle...basicaly 1/4 wave GP on each band...

OH Rat...not to bust you bubble on Cushcraft...
But guess who owns them!... along with Wilson / Hygain and Telex....
mfj! :whistle:OMG!
All the Best
BJ

No bubble to burst. I already knew that. There is a difference in the quality of the antennas or at least there was.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.