• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna to boost range of hand held CB

bobgreen

Aug 25, 2009
I bought a Midland hand held receiver, Model 75-785 to use on motor club runs. It plugs in to the car battery outlet, and I added a telescoping antenna from radio shack that had tables for adjusting the antenna lengths for maximum range. Although I can receive for a couple of miles, I can only transmit up to maybe a mile. I know this is an entry level unit, but would a car mounted antenna (magnetic base) improve transmission range and even reception rangeto three or even four miles?

What kind of adapter would I need to attach an external antenna to the BCN terminal on the Midland?

Since I use this unit infrequently I don't want to put much more money into the setup.

Thanks,

bobgreen

You get what you pay for.
My mobile radio and antenna is good for up to 50 miles w/o an additional RF amp.
If you don't use the radio you have, it is because it isn't a very good radio.
If you have a radio system that is efficient, you may use it more often.
Especially if you are on the road a lot.

I would have spent my money differently than you did, but that is water under the bridge. You can probably sell it on eBay and get a decent used radio from someone on this forum, as they often sell superfluous gear.

For a minimal setup, I would get a Cobra 25LTD
( http://cgi.ebay.com/1993-COBRA-25LT...in_0?hash=item3a520ed5c3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 ),
a Workman DM-452 mic
( http://cgi.ebay.com/WORKMAN-DM-452-...ash=item563483eef5&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262 ),
and a Wilson 1000 mag-mount antenna
( http://cgi.ebay.com/Wilson-1000-Hig...temQQimsxZ20090822?IMSfp=TL090822139005r18586 ).
This way, you can remove it in a snap - and still get out like gang-busters.
The recieve and transmit in these suggested items/pkg will be decent for quite a few miles!
That setup I suggested above might run between $100-200 - depending if you bought it used or new.

Last edited:
Any antenna outside of a car will work better than one inside a car. From there, it gets real confusing at times. Antennas have no guaranty of 'range'. They can only radiate what's fed to them. Typically, the 'larger' an antenna is the further it will be usable. There's a huge amount of 'wiggle room' in that one!
I seriously doubt if you'll ever find a removable antenna that's going to work well, and fit in your shirt pocket. And yes, I know that's an exaggeration, but not as much as you might think. Good luck.
- 'Doc

Boy9819 said:
What is the setup that you are using to get this kind of range?

My guess is a decent sized antenna like a Wilson 5000, Sirio Performer 5000 or 102" whip using a fixed mount on the roof of the car.

Reactions: milkman21218
well judging from your first post this is a temporary setup. is this for an rv /motorhome?
if ya just wanting a simple setup that doesnt stickout get a fiberglass antenna at least 3 feet in lenth . my choice is the skipshooter.you,ll need a run of 18 feet coax and some kinda mount .will also need that adapter for handheld.goto ftldist.com they have a very nice selection of antennas. also have the coax you,ll need

I have a collection of 20+ CB, 40 channel walkie talkies including - 3 TRC 216s, 5 TRC 226s, 3 TRC 234s, a pair of Cherokee AH-100s and about 10 others. Just about every one of these has been used as a base, mobile, or marine mobile at some point.

Any external antenna will work to improve your range. I have a 30+ year old Radio Shack magnetic mount mobile antenna. It only has about a 32" whip. With a BNC coax adapter, my TRC 234s have gotten me up to 20 miles from house to base. With my Wilson 1000, they've gotten up to 40 miles. This is running strictly barefoot.

If you need a BNC adapter, Cobra sells one that you can find on Ebay and Amazon. Radio Shack also sells one, as does just about shop specializing in two way radio, ham radio or electronics. DX Engineering sells it as part # DXE-1136.

Bottom line: your walkie talkie hooked up to a good antenna will get out just as well as any mobile while also giving you the flexibility to operate as a base or as a portable.

Good luck and enjoy your radio.

you answered your own question about the connector. it is a BNC connector. about 20 years ago I talked 70 miles from a Radio Shack handheld walkie talkie connected to a Shakespeare big stick base antenna with a piece of coaxial cable from the top of Mount Wilson Observatory in Southern California.
I bought a Midland hand held receiver, Model 75-785 to use on motor club runs. It plugs in to the car battery outlet, and I added a telescoping antenna from radio shack that had tables for adjusting the antenna lengths for maximum range. Although I can receive for a couple of miles, I can only transmit up to maybe a mile. I know this is an entry level unit, but would a car mounted antenna (magnetic base) improve transmission range and even reception rangeto three or even four miles?

What kind of adapter would I need to attach an external antenna to the BCN terminal on the Midland?

Since I use this unit infrequently I don't want to put much more money into the setup.

Thanks,

bobgreen

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.