• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

antron 99 vs shakespear big stick

Wow thats interesting! I would have thought the other way at least in power handling. How good a shape is the one you got? I know they stoped making them a while back. I have never seen one around here though. Not even other places. Only place i have seen one was on shakespears site but it was not a real picture. Any chance you could post some pics of it?

Reactions: Junebug
As with anything else out here, your mileage may vary! For ever person out here who says one thing is better, two pop up out of their bongs to say just the opposite.

All I can say is that Shakespear has been making antennas for the MILITARY and the MARINE markets for a long time! They are well designed, well engineered antennas!

They don't make a CB antenna anymore because WE are willing to buy crap for less. Uniden got out of the CB market (almost) for the very same reason. How can they compete when they are not playing with the same rules (or lack of rules when it comes to imports)?

I'd still like to find an ABS-1600 new in the box somewhere!!!

ya wish i still had my nbs-2010 same as super big stick but white. they are 5/8 waves and built far superior than a a99.

imax 2000 is closer to a super big stick. wich im running now but the imax2000 is flimsier. the imax is broader banded but that doesnt make it a better antenna IMO.

that shakspear will handle 5000 watts no problem.

Shakespear Big Stick

351, I did extensive test with the A99, Imax 2000 and Shakespear NBS 2010 at distances up to 45miles. To sum it up the Imax and the Shakespear are equal in fact trying to pick the winner between these two was near impossible, the A99 was minus 2 s units on both transmit and receive. Terrain was a mixture of over water and through a mountain range. One thing I can tell you is that we live in a location with a high average windspeed with no snow or ice, the Imax did not survive the first winter snapping at the first join, both the NBS and the A99 are still standing. If you want any further info on these test I can send you a private message.
As was stated the NBS is a 21ft 5/8, very strongly made and built to last. Unfortunately Shakespear stopped making them about two years ago.
Murray

the shakespeare big stick # 176 (if that's the model you have) is a coaxial halfwave dipole with less bandwidth, less gain, (if we pretend that the A99 is just an end fed half wave vertical) handles a fraction of the power of the A99 with no where near the wind survival rating. it's so pathetic as a matter of fact that now it's called the 176-1 and is marketed as a marine cb antenna. both manufacturers also lied in equal amounts when it came to the advertised gain ratings.

i hear they make great fishing rods.

Reactions: Junebug and Marconi
Re: nbs 2010

351_bear said:
is there any tunning involved with this antenna or is it like tunning a i max or a-99 i want to stick this antenna up today I've had a i max 2000 before great antenna but I'm curious on this nbs 2010

there is no tuning its factory preset. and usualy resonate freq is bellow ch1. on the super big stick and the NBS-2010.
only difference in the super big stick and the NBS-2010 is the name and the color. i guess you could try different top whip lengths to change the resonant freq to above ch1. but either way it will still go above 40 if you use those channels :) and still be under 1.5 SWR.

hey there..

i have and have used..

shakespeare big stick
A-99
Imax-2000

shakespeare Big Stick... is ok
A-99 ...is better and extremly broadbanded
Imax-2000 ... very bradbanded and better then both A-99 and big stick..

throw them all out...
if you can aford to buy and have room for
Jay's Interceptor I-10K...

is nowhere as broad banded as A-99 or Imax 2000
but Jay's I-10K desroys both recieve and transmit of other vertical 11 meter antennas

Later

Shakespear vs A99

351, I think we need to know which model of the Shakespear Big Stick that you have as the lengths varied from about 16 ft to 21 ft.
Mine was the 21ft 5/8 (nbs 2010) which is rated at 5kw, I can tell you that this antennais a great improvement on the A99 and performs as well as the Imax 2k. This antenna is a lot stiffer and stronger than the Imax.
To get an idea of band width I set my MFJ tuner for 1.1:1swr AT 27.205Mhz and between 26.330Mhz & 27.825 it remained under1.5:1.
Noise level on this antenna was comparable to the A99 and the Imax 2k. As stated before the Nbs 2010 has weathered storms with winds approaching 90 mph which unfortunately the Imax 2k didn't survive.
I am also interested in Jay and Coily's antenna's with there reduced noise levels and slight improvements over the Imax 2k.
Murray

no doubt definitly need to know the models, had both the big stick(original from way back) that was 16 feet long. and like posted a good set up dipole basically. then had another antenna which i was told was a son of a big stick which was 3 section white 18 feet long and that antenna seemed pretty good as far as tvi and tx/rx. then went to the next gen from there which wa the pogo stick and that sucka was junk! i have never in my life seen such a bleeding omni, that thing bled everywhere and this antenna was shakespears answer to the a99 and imo the a99 was still a class above the pogo stick. then had a 2010 and was pretty happy with that antenna semed to be pretty fair but hard to compete with the 4 element that replaced it. hope this helps!

The Big stiks construction of there antennas seemed to
be better than solarcon constructed antennas.
Solarcon antennas win on bandwidth.
Did tests years ago, but, just can't remember correct
performance figures.
I got tired of pissing with fiberglass stik antennas as they
produced TVI,RFI problems and static problems for me
here where i live in PA. Thank God those days are over!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated