• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Any hf rigs do 11m frequency from new?

Damo666

Jan 10, 2009
Hi. I'm interested in purchasing a new mobile/standard hf rig(0-30Mhz) that does 11m fm frequencies from the box and really don't want to pay much more than £700. I'm aware that the Icom 706 is easily modified, but the mod would deplete the default warranty. Any ideas please? Cheers in advance.

You're not going to find one from the factory. Get a Yaesu 857D. It's just solder jumper pads that you change. If you need to send it in for warranty, put the solder jumper pads back the way they were.

I 2ed the 706 MKIIG

If you have the mod done by the tech at place you buy it
Then the warranty will be intact

Otherwise simply solder it back yourself before sending it out for repair (if repair is ever needed)

Icom is quite good regarding repairs
They made the 11 meter conversion easy for a reason
Typically for mars usage and ability to open 60 meters
(11 meters is simply a side benefit)

Damo666,
I'm not aware of any new, UNmodified, HF radios that will transmit on 11 meters using FM or any other mode. But then, I'm not familiar with any radios available to you in the UK/EU, only in the USA, sorry. That also goes for the legality of doing such a modification, you are on your own there.
The used radio market is a different story. Since there's no warranty, whatever you do, or has been done to a 'used' radio is just about whatever you can get away with. I don't know of a major brand that can't be converted, the only difference is in the difficulty of doing so. I would think that £700 limit would open up quite a selection of possible radios. From there, it's whatever strikes your fancy/fantasy?
Good luck.
- 'Doc

I have an Icom 761 but choose not to use it in AM mode. I keep a galaxy mobile on hand for that task. Im told that my 761 doesnt sound great on AM, but no such problems on SSB.

icom 706 sounds ok on am.but all in all ya can get a 29 or 78 to sound
better.

I agree. It's difficult to get many, if not any, ham rigs to sound "loud and proud." I'm not referring to typical overmodulation, distortion, and general crappiness sometimes associated with big audio 11 meter rigs that have been butchered, either... just good ol' Browning-type audio reminiscent from years ago... and how the 29's (and my 77) sound these days.

AM on the ham bands is much mellower sounding compared to CB AM. Don't get me wrong, it's pleasant to listen to -- on the ham bands, but I don't have much use for it on CB/11m.

Has anyone ever hooked up a D-104 to a '706?

Any Hf Rig On 11 Meters Is gonna Blow Smoke On SSB But AM IT JUST PLAN SUCKS , BUY A 2950 RCI You will Like it Better ! :thumbdown:Don't Mess Up A Good Radio Too Play With Jokers Save YOUR MONEY!

icom 706 sounds ok on am.but all in all ya can get a 29 or 78 to sound
better.

I heard somewhere that there's an AM mod for the 706 that greatly improves its rather feeble stock AM audio. Does anyone know the details?

I'd also like to know if anyone has tried any other mic with theirs. I tried a couple Heil mics, but they didn't do much for the audio on AM. They were so poorly made that their design flaws soon left them useless.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated