• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anybody remember the Tri-kicker and the Ultra-kicker?

Captain Kilowatt

Professional Amateur
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nova Scotia,Canada
Just like the topic title says,does anybody remember the Tri-kicker and the Ultra-kicker base antennas? They were sort of like a Super Scanner but had more elements and had a folded dipole element in the centre I believe. I remember seeing one that had five elements a few miles from home and I had a Midland CB sales pamphlet that had them pictured on the back. I believe one model even had eight elements in a circle. I was wondering if anyone remembers these antennas and who made them.

The guy that worked on my gear before he retired hd a Tri Kicker up. Looked like two 3 element beams running thru each other at 180 degrees of each other with 2 egg beaters in the middle. It talked real well! They were made by Turner.

That sounds like the Tri-kicker all right. They also made an Ultra-kicker that had 6 or 8 elements around the out side. I just had a flashback to days gone by and was wondering if anyone recalled them and who made them. thanks.

googling the antennas i found no real information but did find something kind of cute . apparently this guy builds little models of atnennas on towers . the one in the middle is what he thinks was a ultra kicker on a tower . http://homebrewradio.tripod.com/id32.html . could be a fun way to pass some cold winter says ahead . he has a few homebrew projects too .

That Just looks like a set of stacked 4s. I remember Turner had one omni that I guess was a folded dipole. It just looked like the egg beater on the tri kicker. I know a guy who in his shop still has a set of dual loaded Signal kicker mobile antennas. They are very short.

BOOTY MONSTER said:
googling the antennas i found no real information but did find something kind of cute . apparently this guy builds little models of atnennas on towers . the one in the middle is what he thinks was a ultra kicker on a tower . http://homebrewradio.tripod.com/id32.html . could be a fun way to pass some cold winter says ahead . he has a few homebrew projects too .

That pix is not of a Tri-kicker. It looks more like a three element and a four element beam pointed in opposite directions. Speaking of that site,I have tried to model my antennas just as he did and thought it would be cool to have on the operating desk. My problem is getting the tower right. I did find a way to do it using a template made from a board and a bunch of small finish nails arranged in a zig-zag pattern to make all three sides of the tower exactly the same.My next attempt will be using bronze welding rods for the tower legs and 22 ga. wire for the cross members.I may even take it to work and use the small spot welder we use for welding wire screen.

That sounds like the Tri-kicker all right. They also made an Ultra-kicker that had 6 or 8 elements around the out side. I just had a flashback to days gone by and was wondering if anyone recalled them and who made them. thanks.

I remember those. A long forgotten memory that just won't quite come into focus...lol

Is this it?

untitled.jpg

Reactions: SIX-SHOOTER
What was the 8 element version called?

I know the "Base Kicker" was the omni version with just the folded dipoles. The "Ultra Kicker" had the folded dipoles surrounded by 4 vertical elements. What did they call the one with the folded dipoles and 8 vertical elements? If anyone has the assembly manual for the Ultra Kicker or the 8 element version PLEASE let me know. I'd love to home brew one of these just for the hellavit! Thanks! - Bob

I have a neighbor who has a brand new unopened set of the Tri-Kicker.I was going too get her to open the box & let me read the specs on it because the picture above shows a rotor under the antenna but it's just a drawing & not an actual photograph.I always heard it worked like a Super Scanner but not so if it needs a rotor.

"SIX-SHOOTER"

Hello All: Wow this kind of new stuff for me, and I though I had seen it all. Never did I hear about or see these antennas in any shape or form.

If you look at the Nov 1974 S9 Magazine from the attached address the cover shows a type of antenna I thought to be only a artists conception antenna. Is this one of the antennas your looking for?

http://www.cbtricks.com/pub/mags/s9_magazine/index.htm

Again thanks Bennie.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

Reactions: 2RT307
Hello All: Wow this kind of new stuff for me, and I though I had seen it all. Never did I hear about or see these antennas in any shape or form.

If you look at the Nov 1974 S9 Magazine from the attached address the cover shows a type of antenna I thought to be only a artists conception antenna. Is this one of the antennas your looking for?

http://www.cbtricks.com/pub/mags/s9_magazine/index.htm

Again thanks Bennie.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

That is the Base Kicker model.It worked like a Super Scanner.I just don't know if the Tri-Kicker works the same way or if it needed a rotor?

SIX-SHOOTER

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated