• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anybody used a Superstar dm452 mic on a Superstar/Cobra?

Damo666

Jan 10, 2009
I've just ordered a new Astatic minuteman 2, but require a second mic for backup. Anyone ever used or currently use a Superstar dm-452 mic? What's the audio like from it please? I will be using it on a Superstar 3900el. Regards.

Yeah I've used them and just had one on an RCI 2950 that I sold. They are cheap. But they seem to work well from new and with some luck and you don't kick the thing around, they may even last a few years. I've had both situations where they last, and they break down one way or another because of the cheap construction....but like we're saying, they're cheap on price too. Last check was $17.95 at a major seller. Great, clear mojo and echo for small bucks!

interview.gif

Last edited:
I use a Superstar DM-452 with my Cobra 2000. You can find this same mic under different names but my experience has been that the Workman Superstar DM-452 has the clearest sound. I also use one on my Cobra 148GTL and my Cobra 25GTL.
The only issues I've had with these mics is the Switch gets scratchy after use. I clean the switch with CRC (tuner cleaner) and lube it with a tiny bit of WD-40. That fixes it with no more issues. I've been using these mics for over 3 years now and they consistently work & sound good. They use a 9v battery and I've only had to change batteries once in 3 years.
There are 2 adjustments inside the mic. One is echo/reverb and the other is volume. If you turn the echo/reverb pot all the way one way it is echo only. if you turn it all the way the other way it is reverb only. I run mine all the way on echo only with the slide control on the front of the mic barely cracked on.
Another trick to sounding clear on these mics is to not talk directly into the mic. Instead hold it sideways and talk across the mic for mobile use. I hold the top of the mic to my cheek and turn it slightly away from my mouth. The transmitted audio is very clear when the mic is used this way.
If you use it as a base station mic and you want to have louder audio with a little ambient background noise, hold it at least a foot away from your face. On my base I use it the same way I do on the mobile in an effort to keep most of the background noise out. I get reports of "Studio Quality" sound.
I own a few desk mics including a D-104, a Turner + 3 and a + 3B but I still prefer the DM-452. It's inexpensive and simple and it works great.

watchdog /263

i have had the superstar d-452 for over 30 years and i have found if your mobile or base is setup just right, you cant ask for a better mic for the money.
My only problem is getting it set to the radios as i have a few.
i ran a 102 whip with a 1.1 swr on a cobra and was told i sounded like a base station from 40 miles away, this made me very happy to hear.
like i said, for the money you can be loud and clear.
i just bought 2 new ones for the price of one and they are working great.

Just think what it would do on a whip with radials...(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated