• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone know anything about the AMCOMM Terminator Amps.

topdogli22

Dec 13, 2010
I just picked up one of these amps and the pre amp seems to be a problem. With it turned on it lowers the total power output to 75W and with it off it hits 150W.
If anyone has any info, manuals, specs, etc. Please help out.

I just picked up one of these amps and the pre amp seems to be a problem. With it turned on it lowers the total power output to 75W and with it off it hits 150W.
If anyone has any info, manuals, specs, etc. Please help out.

....I went in to my Doctors' office and, I said, "Doctor when I raise my arm like this, it hurts", he says to me, "Well then, don't do that"........

I never heard of an AMCOMM amplifier, is it tube or transistor? Does this 'Pre-amp' switch also affect you receive (boost it or makes it drop out when activated)?

IMHO, it is just a mis-marked "Hi-Lo switch". Unless it affects your receive, use it as such; "Hi" is more carrier and "Lo" is more "PEP" audio power.

Post pictures for more detailed and better answers to your questions.

....I went in to my Doctors' office and, I said, "Doctor when I raise my arm like this, it hurts", he says to me, "Well then, don't do that"........

I never heard of an AMCOMM amplifier, is it tube or transistor? Does this 'Pre-amp' switch also affect you receive (boost it or makes it drop out when activated)?

IMHO, it is just a mis-marked "Hi-Lo switch". Unless it affects your receive, use it as such; "Hi" is more carrier and "Lo" is more "PEP" audio power.

Post pictures for more detailed and better answers to your questions.

Thanks for the reply Paws,
I have had a little more time to go over the Amp and I noticed that the fron cover had been repainted and new labels put on. The Amp is or was a Amcomm Penetrator HB 22??. The preamp switch is definately only for the recieve as it gives me about 3 S units when switched on and then drops to normal when off. It also will not function unless the main amp switch is either in the AM or SSB position. There is a large drop in output when the amp is used with the preamp on. I have also gotten feedback that the audio TX is crystal clear when using the preamp, but is distorted when when the preamp is off and more power is being transmitted.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank You!

Everything I can find so far on AMCOMM:

AMCOMM S2 25 25 watt 2 meter Transceiver - Sold!

25 watt transceiver covering 144 to 148 Mhz. With mic, touch tone encoder, and manual in good working condition $70 shipped in US. See package deal with Mirage B108 amp
AMMCOMM CO INC

Address: 9018 BALBOA BLVD, NORTHRIDGE, CA 91325-2610
These were found on a site that sells vintage service manuals for old radios.

(PUB) AMC-S2-25
AM-COMM S2-25 Maintenance Manual​
20.00​
(PUB) AMC-S2-25/
AM-COMM S2-25 Oper. Man No Diagram​
14.00​
Try searching with the above model numbers and see what you can find...other that that,
best thing to do is take some good pictures of the inside and post them up and go from there.

Jeff

AMCOMM made an amplifier called the Penetrator HB-125. It was designed for about 12-15 watts pep input maximum and covered 10-40m and would make about 175-180 watts output depending on the band,lower output on the higher bands of course. It was meant to compliment QRP rigs of that era. Does your amp have a band switch or is it single band?

AMCOMM made an amplifier called the Penetrator HB-125. It was designed for about 12-15 watts pep input maximum and covered 10-40m and would make about 175-180 watts output depending on the band,lower output on the higher bands of course. It was meant to compliment QRP rigs of that era. Does your amp have a band switch or is it single band?

Thanks for the reply Captain,
It more than likely is a Penetrator HB from Amcomm, but all i can see is the first 2 numbers which are both 2. could be 225 228 or 225_.etc. It does not have a band switch, but it could have been modified because of the odd switches and blue Led's.
There are ON/Off and Preamp ON/Off switches and a three way AM-Off-SSB switch. 2 led's 1 for Preamp and the other for AM/SSB. There are 2 MRF455 Transistors in it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.