• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone use 60m?

N0NB

Oct 3, 2010
Bremen, KS
www.n0nb.us
Years after the much ballyhooed 60m channel allocations, I finally have a radio that will do the legal limit there. I tweaked up the tuner to work there and so far have heard a few stations but all have been very weak. I've not called CQ (is that the protocol?) but the few times I've listened I didn't hear anyone but stations off to the east/southeast. So I'm not sure if there are many out here in middle America using the band.

Has anyone given 60m a go? What are your impressions?

I've used it some, working into the Pacific/Japan/Hawaii and such, but it's not one of my favorite bands.

And I assume by "legal limit", you mean 50W ERP?? :whistle:

I've used it some, working into the Pacific/Japan/Hawaii and such, but it's not one of my favorite bands.

I only worked 1 60m contact just after the allocation and confirmed the QSO and to my delight it was Hawaii KH7, so it does indeed work!; it's just so sparsely populated (for now).

I don't have a 60m allocation here (yet) but any time I tune into the band to listen it's dead. I think I have only heard a couple QSO's on there in all the time I have tuned in.

Interesting. I'll have to listen more, I guess.

Errr, yep. :laugh: My only other rig that will do 60m is my FT-817 and it's 5W max--10 dB below the "legal limit".

27 years in the hobby and I still don't own an HF amplifier. :blink:

I frequent 60m on occasion. I too have made a few DX contacts, mostly into the Scandinavian area of Europe on 60. To me it has a lot of the same character of the OPs on 40m. It is a neat but obviously limited band to operate in but it can be fun. Yes, call CQ there, you'll probably have a QSO or so. I called one evening and ended up with a group of around 15 OPs that lasted for quite awhile and enjoyed the "round table" as it turned out to be. I have also made some contacts mobile as well. Had one into Washington State while mobile which was a pretty good hop from VA out to the left coast.

Go up there and make a few calls and stir things up.

Wayne C.

I have from time to time, although not regularly. Folks (me included) should really give it a try more often; It has interesting propagation characteristics.

I work 60 quite often,

The most traffic I hear is on 5.403.5

I have a dipole just for 60 meter and I hear stuff all the time.

I too do not worry about my power, I crank it full blast on my Yaesu FT-817ND

Think 5 watts is not enough? I made a 60 meter contact to the Kingdom of Tonga with the 817 from my QTH near Chicago (y)

Last edited:
I used it quite a bit when they first opened the band. Not much to get excited about and there were occassionally Gov't data transmissions that would put the kibosh to a QSO.:unsure:

60 METERS?

In the Southeast channel 4 in VERY popular in the mornings & evenings.I used the band when I owned my ICOM 7000 but have NOT since selling it about a year ago.I am planning on doing the MOD to my ICOM 746 PRO so I can AGAIN work the 60 meter band.I worked SEVERAL stations in Europe from my mobile before I sold the rig & worked plenty of DX & USA stations from my shack as well with my G5RV & the ICOM 7000. :)

SIX-SHOOTER

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.