• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ARRL and FCC, good reading:

Jay in the Mojave

Apr 6, 2005
Mojave Desert
Hello All:

There have been quit a few things going on between the the ARRL and FCC and it is very good reading in the ARRL (American Radio Relay League) Magazine "QST".

As most have heard that the FCC has dropped all CW (Morse Code) testing requirement for ALL levels of Amateur Radio Licensing. The ARRL requested that the 5 word per minute CW Test be kept for the Extra Class License. But the FCC did not keep it!

But there is more! The ARRL is going after the FCC in court over the BPL (Broadband over Power Line) a method of transmitting Internet Data over the Power Lines. This BPL Data Transmissions causes Interference to radios in some of the HF and VHF Bands.

It seems the ARRL is calling the FCC in on Interference Issues. And this is all great reading. So grab the latest copies of QST Magazine and get tuned in.

Your questions and comments are requested.

Jay in the Mojave

While I don't agree with LOTS about the ARRL, They are the only "Gun in town" and do good things at times. The BPL fights are some of the good things I'm happy about. The QST Mag has some nice articles and projects also.

Hello Hook 948:

Yes the only gun in town I know of, Ten-4. So that means that members need to voice their concerns, as with any orginaztion.

The Jan 2007 Issue of QST:
Has some great articles. David Summer the ARRL CEO starts off by explaning how the former FCC Chairmen Michael Powell was in favor of the "over-hyped technology" as BPL.... The Articles name is "We Go to Court" this is CEO's place in QST "It Seems to Us"

Good Article on the Boat Anchors Linear Amplifiers, such as the Heathkit SB221 and others in General.

Another good Article is on the Collins KWM-1 Transciver.

And the icing on the cake is the Article by M. Walter Maxwell (has written many books on antennas and transmission lines, and is active in the news group rec.radio.amateur.antennas) "How the FCC Helped to End World War II" very intresting!

Other Good Articles on Baluns, Wire Antennas, and Directional Couplers and others.

I don't know if the ARRL Staff is trying harder to come out with a better QST Magazine, or has changed the magazine staff. But the last several QST magazines I have seen are a great improvement.

Well worth the price.

Jay in the Mojave

Hook948 said:
While I don't agree with LOTS about the ARRL, They are the only "Gun in town" and do good things at times. The BPL fights are some of the good things I'm happy about. The QST Mag has some nice articles and projects also.

The ARRL is out for one thing and one thing only: the ARRL.

Make no mistake about it.

If the ARRL is so great, then why are only 2 in 10 licensed hams members?

Answer:

Historically, given the choice between robbing Peter to pay Paul (so as to increase membership), or doing nothing (for fear of alienating a group of members), the ARRL would do nothing. This worked well--the percentage of hams who were ARRL members was nearly 100 percent.

Now, with everything that has gone on in the past decade, the ARRL has alienated almost every group to some extent or another just to pander to the lowest possible denominator.

cyclops1970 said:

Answer:

Historically, given the choice between robbing Peter to pay Paul (so as to increase membership), or doing nothing (for fear of alienating a group of members), the ARRL would do nothing. This worked well--the percentage of hams who were ARRL members was nearly 100 percent.

Now, with everything that has gone on in the past decade, the ARRL has alienated almost every group to some extent or another just to pander to the lowest possible denominator.

I just like getting QST delivered to my house. That alone (to me) is worth the price of admission...

The thing I hate about the ARRL is that you have to be a member in order to partake in SO much.I used to be able to buy QST at the local magazine stand.That was great. Then they cut that out a few years ago. In order to be a winner of so many awards you HAVE to be a member. In order to take advantage of the outgoing QSL bureau you HAVE to be a member. It is almost like blackmail.At least all I have to do is send a few bucks to my local outgoing bureau a couple times a year and all is good. No membership required to anything.

Kinda makes me laugh, QRN. You hate the ARRL and can't see the benefit of being a member and then you cite them as an expert source in another post. I'm am a long-time member and also support the Spectrum Defense Fund. Money well spent, IMHO.

Rich

I did not say I hate them,only that there are somethings about them I hate.There are advantages to being a member I suppose but there are so many exclusions if you are not.Why not put QST back on the news stands for all to buy? Sales and hence income would increase. Why have to be a member just to claim a Worked All whatever award which you have to buy anyway? As for making a post using them as "an expert source" in another post,I could have used another source but that was what Google came up with and most people would prefer a "reliable" source. No big deal.

You do have a point about the awards and mag. Too bad that there is not some kind of reciprocity between RAC and ARRL. That way we could support our own organizations and get the benefits of the other. It would be like supporting your local repeater and talking on another when you travel.

Rich

Well I dumped RAC about two years ago after a national rep was at a local hamfest and got mouthy about questions concerning finances at HQ and how salaries and raises were handled.He stormed out in a rage and several of us followed calling him down. Lets just say that things were not exactly on the up and up and wouldn't you know it the guy hired to investigate was in thick with the big boys there. :evil: I suppose now that some of the ring leaders have stepped aside I should rejoin. :roll:

Where do these numbers come from?

I am sure the ARRL has room for improvement. And I am sure the memebers and thier participation or none perticipation has a lot to do with things also.

My point of making the posting is the noticed improvement in the QST magazine. The ARRL is the only game in town, so like it or not, its a major fact.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert, ....just down the road ah ways from the fillin station.

cyclops1970 said:

Answer:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated