• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Astatic Echo Board

linearone

King of NY
Apr 2, 2005
Rotten Apple Trees
www.acboxes.com
Anyone have one of these? I was thinking about buying one and wondered if they sound nice.
I do NOT want that turbo echo with the endless repeat etc etc. I hate those...

Does the astatic board have the nice little angle mounts to mount it in the radio?

Have used an earlier version of this board and the current? version. The early version incorporated less SMT and required the source voltage to be regulated @ around 8-9 Vdc. Both came with the knobs and angle mounts. My opinion is the newer version does not produce as rich of an echo as the earlier versions.

for a simple echo/reverb they are OK boards. Yes they have angle clips . I would put them neck and neck with a DM-452 echo mic. As I would with the EXstream echo mic's to the TRB-1s .

Here's a pic of the Astatic Echo board:

I haven't tried one out yet, though.

Attachments

• astatic echoboard.jpg
    astatic echoboard.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 102
RF Limited, Victory, and Workman all make them. I think the one i have in my 29 is the Victory...I'd have to open it up to remember what I put in there. It seems pretty good to me.

A lot of guys like the RF Limited boards. Search around the forum; there are a few threads on echo boards.

whats up linearone,i have had radios here that had the astatic board in it and i gotta tell ya .i wasnt impressed.if all you want is a little reverb this board will give you that .although i fell it sounds cheesy.
i have installed quite a few skythumper vortex boards and they sound great.it is a turbo style echo but just simply dont use that portion of the echo if you dont like it .
i see the astatic board has no pre amp on it .the skythumper board and the rf limited boards both have mic pre amps on the boards .they really make a radio scream.

if i was doing a radio for myself i,d stay away from the astatic ,but thats just me .i like the mic pre amps on the boards .reports on the skythumper echo have been great,clear n clean sounding is what i get .

now the skythumper board has the big ol metal control pot so if space is a issue up front then you might wanna pass on this board and get something with the smaller control.
they fit in unidens and 29`s just fine .come with a mounting tang on it .
hope that helped ya some.

Linearone, I have installed most of the boards out there and the astatic sound especially good in the Uniden radios. The RF-limited turbo has the pre-amp and requires a few more wire hook-ups and to set the pre-amp you have to short out with a jumper wire and have either a set of headphones or you can hear the hum in the radio as you approach the max on the board. It does make it loud, but the problem is in everyday use you will have to cut it back if your running a mobile and you have someone within 1 mile or so of you; otherwise it will get very loud on the other persons recieve and will sound overmodulated. The RF is a good board and have installed several and run with a guy everynight that has the one I installed and it sounds good and clear. That being said I have another friend that has a Uniden 68xl with the astatic in it and required 2 less wire hookup(let me tell you the RF has 2 extra wires and one is on the under side of the mic socket and is a pain to get to) and others swear he is running a linear. I actually prefer the astatic in his uniden over the RF limited in the cobra 29. I installed both and peaked and tuned both and that smaller radio sounds better than the cobra 29. By the way both run astatic 636 l, I would also recommend the Skythumper 65. You will only have to run you mic gain at 1/2 with the skythumper. Well that is my 2 cents worth.

astatis echo boards

ive installed a bunch of the atatics and im not impressed sound alot like the cheezy echo mics the trb-1 is the way to go or if you could find one ,, the original connex lt2 boards the trb is only 20 bucks and worth it even if you dont use all it features

I think in the right radio the Astatic sounds very good; mostly in Uniden radios which tend to when peaked have a higher dk. The hook-up is easier and they don't need to have the pre-amp adjusted. That being said the RF limited does sound good and has a lot of features. As far a plug and play the Astatic is definitely easier, but the other's with preamps can really make your radio sound loud.

The extreme 2018 is a good noise cancelling echo mic with a whole boat load of features and doesn't limit you on the radio you can use. If you are someone who can install the echo boards and plan to use it as your primary radio then echo boards are 1/4 as much and cost and a very good echo board is under 1/3 the cost of the extreme. I like personally to be able to vary my microphone on my radios and the sound in which they produce such as the deep rich tone of my 20+year old RK56(new ones are not as good) and the natural sounding Astatic 636L or if I want to reach out and touch someone their is my Skythumper ST-65. All of these are extrememly good noise cancelling mic(better than the 2018) and each has their own sound. The echo boards with preamps can be set to each and every individual board, but may take some experience to get it right. The Astatic asteb-1 in a Uniden 66-68-76-78 and some older Phillipines Cobra 25,29 sound extrememly good in them. They sound like a big radio if set-up correctly and I can get them for $14 a piece-shipped, extreme 2018 at it's cheapest new to my house is around $52-55.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?