• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Astatic Minuteman II D-104

Not aware of any, may have been some basic tone mods but thats an excellent old mic, I'd leave it stock, buy a new D104M6 if you want one to play with...

What's not to like - as it is? I think that is the BEST mic for dollar spent - to this day! Even the newer models are excellent. Can't go wrong with it.

I think the older D104's battery situation is a bit outdated - though. The newer D104's require the common and much cheaper 9v battery - instead of the older and harder-to-find 'stacked' battery found in the older models of these mics. Which are twice the price as the more common 9v. Other than that - either model sounds the same to me - the best mobile mic! I wouldn't change it at all...

I agree the Astatic Minuteman II D-104 is a super mobile fist mic, i love them. Great for SSB work. I might put a .01 mf capacitor on the mic to tame it a bit. Any thoughts guys?

leave it be. To get more bass response I would tighten the radio audio limiter(limit more) and then incrase gain on the D104, that way the peak highs get limited while the bass(weaker response) gets compressed towards the limiter level. This will prevent overmodulation while increasing the weaker bass response of the D104. This is a big trick when using power mics such as D104, a way to alter freq response by a form of compression by use of the radios own limiter circuit. My first power mic back in the 80's was the Minuteman 2. the battery case is weak so take care of it, repair as necessary. As handmade as the internals look, that mic is one durable piece, down to the chrome finish. Mine was sold to another happy owner eventually, not because I didn't like it, but because I was simply walking away from the hobby. BR

I have a couple of minuteman 2 mics and love them, however the 7.5v battery holders tend to break due to that age of the cheap plastic used. I tried gluing the broken end back on and it would hold for a short while and then break. My solution was to remove the broken negative end and ream the hold a bit larger. I then placed a small wall anchor in the hole from the inside with the contact and wire in it. Works like a charm and I didn't need to tape it .IMG_2438.jpg IMG_2437.jpg

I've had both, MMl and the MMll. Both are excellent mics. Always got good reports on any radio I put them on.. I would leave it as is.

From what I have found, they are unobtanium. I have tried to find a substitute, but have yet to vet anything heavily. These holders I bought showed promise, but I have not tested performance when 1.5v would be missing off the bat. Or if the mic will actually work at all. (Thats if my memory serves me, its been awhile)

Attachments

• 37B14C59-44F9-4BA5-BF3B-1FF356A97540.jpeg
    37B14C59-44F9-4BA5-BF3B-1FF356A97540.jpeg
    294.2 KB · Views: 17
When that battery was discontinued by the name brands, what would be sold to replace it was a stack of so-called "hearing aid" cells inside a heat-shrink sleeve. A stack of five got you 7.5 Volts. Don't see how many you could stack in the holder shown above.

Reactions: tecnicoloco

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated