• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

astroplane?

bob85

Supporting Member
Mar 30, 2005
england
how much do avanti astroplanes usually cost over there?,
if i ever drop on a very clean used one or as some claim new in box, just what would a guy expect to pay???
what size of box would you need for safe shipping overseas?

thanks..

I'll be honest with you Bob , I used to get those a few years ago for about 60.00 new / not the Avanti but a remake of the antenna , I believe they were called Larie 101 ? don't qoute me on that. even the remakes on them as of now , I was told were not easy to get right now. The avanti models are catching a pretty penny on Ebay though , anywhere from 100 to 160 dollars new and used. I personally am not a fan of that antenna ,especially at those prices , but then again ,IM no antenna guru either. I would much rather use a V58 at 100 bucks . Although the astroplanes are rather small and easily installed , they seem to work fairly well at a not so high altitude , in other words , they seem to work pretty good at a lower hight.

Bob, I have a local whom I've been trying to get his original Avanti from. No luck yet. When I get it, you pay only shipping which will include that OTHER stuff I've had here for you for WAY TOO LONG! I'll stop by there again, today. Free antenna, rivets, Noalox; you pay shipping.

switch i have seen the cte copy, it looks like the other corrugated tubing copycat antennas cte make, they give you some bs about how the corrugation increases suface area/skin effect, that may be the case but they dont mention that it also decreases the contact area between the sections and the alloy goes furry with corrosion in the weather nor do they mention that if your neighbur 3 doors away farts it will bend or break the antenna, i have had 2 cte energy's given after they bent in the first 60+mph winds, i inspected them they feel heavy but soft, after a while i put them where they belong, in the bin :thumbdown:, its the same deal wth the starduster copy, they are crap compared to the originals, our shops wont stock the copys,
there is a law that states anything sold here should be suitable for the purpose it was intended for a reasonable period of time usually 12 months even on used goods if bought from a second hand store, now thats funny as hell because no cb antenna sold here is suitable for what its intended to do, maybe the a99 scrapes through but only just, they still break eventually

the maco is a good antenna better than any groundplane we can buy here nowadays but not strong enough,
the i10k is the only groundplane i would recommend to my locals,

im not sure what the astroplane tubing was like as i have not owned one in years, im hoping its the same material as the sigma4.

hey MC see how patient i am lol, im sure your holding out on me so i cant build my MC HAMMER antenna,
i have been saving my pennies for the shipping, just dont break your neck taking the astro down,
i want you around to argue over my results :LOL:

this is the amateur radio related antennas section Bob. I think this post should go somewhere in the CB related.. i mean,,, can you work 20m with a Astroplane?
Linearone, I like you, but thread after thread shows the same sarcasm from you in reference to your perceived lack of CB support on this forum.

Here it is, deal with the change or go elsewhere. Its that simple and you have the power of choice. Carl has started a forum dedicated to CB radio and I highly suggest you go there. http://www.cbjunk.com/

This forum is moving in a new direction and if it doesn't meet your needs, make the appropriate decision. If I had my previous moderator status, I would have deleted your post.

So the "ANTENNAS" topic under the CB RADIO heading really ISN'T for CB antenna discussions?

CB antenna discussions belong under the "AMATEUR RADIO RELATED" heading?

We already have "AMPLIFIERS" under the ham heading with none under "CB", apparently to indicate that CBers don't use amplifiers, right? :confused:

smackdown, i want to try an astroplane because im restricted for height right now and surrounded by houses, not because i think it will beat my i10k if i could put it back up above the surrounding buildings,
the astro is supposed to work well under the conditions i have here,

the MC hammer is just something between me and MC, i named an antenna after him:p.

Bob, everything aside the new $54 astroplanes work really really well. Two of my friends have them and I cant beleive how well they put out. Also they might be lucky but they seem quieter than an I10k

Could be they don't have the receive of a 10K ?

greg im sure they do work well, they just wont stand our weather, nor will most other antennas, we have lost/snapped 2 vector 4000's in the last couple of days and one sigma4 snapped its pole but survived unscathed, maybe more went west early today with the steady 70+mph breeze and lashing rain,
i have it from an antenna guru that for a meaningfull test you should put the current maxima's at the same height when comparing antennas, under those conditions the astroplane will not do well and the 5/8 groundplane will,
when height and surroundings are your restrictions current maxima is very important and can be used to your benefit, i hope:)

yes i posted this in the wrong place:(, i often use my antenna on 10mtr dx or at least i did with the last antenna which was broadbanded enough to work well on 11 and 10mtrs,
i also asked for it to be moved to the cb section,

in my defence heres a couple of quotes from the astroplane patent,

"it is to be noted that each of the conductors 16 and 18 is very slightly under one-quarterwave in length at 29.7megahertz, the antenna therefore operates most efficiently and effectively at that frequency,
it has been determined that the antenna described herein, wherein the one quarter wavelength components are 8 feet long, operates efficiently and satisfactorily within the 27-29.7 megahertz range"

"the antenna of the present invention has been found to be particularly usefull in the citizens band operation at about 27-29.7mhz, it is to be understood, however, that the antenna can be used at other frequencies for both propagation and reception"

greg im sure they do work well, they just wont stand our weather, nor will most other antennas, we have lost/snapped 2 vector 4000's in the last couple of days and one sigma4 snapped its pole but survived unscathed, maybe more went west early today with the steady 70+mph breeze and lashing rain,
i have it from an antenna guru that for a meaningfull test you should put the current maxima's at the same height when comparing antennas, under those conditions the astroplane will not do well and the 5/8 groundplane will,
when height and surroundings are your restrictions current maxima is very important and can be used to your benefit, i hope:)

I use the CTE Top One Bob but when I was erecting it I saw a weakness in the mid-section where the fibreglass spreader is located. I thought that if it was allowed to sway in windy situations too much it would eventually break. I think I remedied that by using plastic (UV resistant) wire ties. First I loosely put one around the mast then I worked off that using ties to anchor the hoop at four compass points (if you will). Then I snugged the first tie to the mast and snugged all the other ties so that they DO NOT allow the hoop section to sway at all. In mid december there were 60 mph gusts in my area and the hoop did not budge. Since the mast terminates near the top of the antenna the AP isn't as fragile near the top. By supporting the hoop I think it's a lot moire bullet proof. Good luck with yours.

I have a Astrobeam in the garage. Never been put together. Missing the holders for the outer elements. I know where an older one is to rob those two parts I need. Always heard these beams have great F/B rejection. Dont know if I will ever use it but what the heck.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated