• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

At what height mast do you start using wire?

misuse

Administrator
Jun 15, 2008
How high is too high for just a tripod bolted to the roof?
What kind of wire would I use and how do I attach it?
I am only up 30 feet rite now with a small antenna.

Some things would need to know like height of tripod ? Is it a 3ft. 6ft. and does it
have three or four legs.
You say you are up 30ft. now, Is that from top of the roof already ?

A small antenna like which one and what are your plans.
If you are 30ft. from rooftop now and a 3ft. tripod then I would say that you
are maxed out now.

Several ways of guying the mast, and how close to antenna and with what material
depends on some more information.

Regards,

John

Scan-tenna and Radioshack 3' Tripod
RadioShack.com - Home Entertainment: Accessories: Antennas: Antenna accessories: Heavy-Duty 3-Foot Tripod Mount

30' including tripod on top of single story house. I made sure there are no electrical lines anywhere it can fall.

So how do I "guy"?

OK let us try this First of all, a 3ft tri-pod Will Not align with any roof rafters
so a plate should be made and used if you can reach the under side of the roof for
each leg on the tri-pod.

Not knowing what kind of mast makes it kinda up to you finding guy rings for it.

Master Chief is correct in where they should be at this point in time.

First you want to guy antenna 120 degrees apart using guy wire, thimbles,
turnbuckles and guy wire clamps. You could use 4 wires 90 degrees apart if your
plans are for a larger antenna than What? You have not said.

If you had a push up pole bought new then it would have had rings attached !!

If it is one you made, out of ?? then the rings will be your call on that one.

Only real problem I see is in guying at 30ft which seems to be at base of this unknown
antenna.

You will need egg insulators spaced correctly if using wire, also UV rope is a option
and if course you can use Phillystrand !! Google Texas Towers for that one and be sure
you are sitting down :)

I have 3) 50ft. rolls that have never been used Yet but the day will come when it gets
some use...

Research and read is best advice I can give on a general topic !! Wish that I could
do better for you.

Best Regards,
John - KD5WJY

I think I may be missing something here. What antenna do you have on that tripod? On a mast, or straight to the tripod?
If the antenna is mounted straight to the tripod, a guy or two (well, three at least) holding the top of the tripod to some points something like 15 feet from the base of the tripod, isn't a bad idea. Might be a bit of 'over-kill' but it shouldn't hurt anything anyway. If you have a mast coming from the tripod, another set of guys from the joint of each section of mast isn't a bad idea either. But, that may be getting a bit ahead of things if you aren't using a mast.
- 'Doc

A 'guy' is a rope/wire that holds things still. Sort of like the ropes on a tent that help hold it up. A guy rope/wire needs to be at ~least~ as strong as the largest force acting on the guyed structure. Considering wind forces, that can get pretty 'strong'. Think of that antenna as a sail, and the wind acting on it. Like that.

(y) you will only need guy wires when the stalk bends toward the roof:drool:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated