• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base antenna problems

R

Rylos1

Doesn't that antenna have a weird tuning ring?

rylos1sig.gif
</p>

If you have or can borrow a dummy load to replace the antenna and coax, to check your system with that will

help isolate the problem.

Hook a dummy load just past the meter which is last

thing in line.

If all checks well then, it is the coax connectors or possibly

a bad antenna.

I would bet on connectors first if you have reached that point

however I have seen bad antennas from radio shack as well

as from Solorcon.

Will assume the coax itself is OK since it would be rare for

it to be bad if its new...

If its this side of meter, on the amp and radio side then its a game of replacing one thing at a time till you find the problem.

Good Luck,

John

dealersig.gif
</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub86.ezboard.com/bworldwidecbradioclub.showUserPublicProfile?gid=dealer@worldwidecbradioclub>Dealer</A> at: 9/16/03 9:20 pm

Hello Paul:

Ok you did say there was not a short at the antennas SO-239 connector, and there should be a short or resistance reading (1 Ohm or less) with that antenna.

I have seen A99 antennas with a bad solder connection inside the antenna, after being cut open. But I think this is rare. It means the antena is not going to work, sorry.

Jay in the Mojave

</p>

Need some advise or suggestions for a problem I came upon.

I did an antenna install this past weekend for my father in law.

The antenna is a Radio Shack base antenna, really an Antron 99 packaged under the RS name.

I couldn't get a proper SWR reading. The readings were off the scale...+ 3.1.

Here is the setup...

The Radio Shack A-99 on a 10 foot mast, bolted to a 19 foot telescoping mast.

6 gauge copper wire strapped to the 10 foot mast at the antenna mounts, with an 8 foot copper clad ground rod driven into the ground at the base of the antenna.

Davis RF Buryflex (9914) w/ PL 259 connectors. The run of cable is about 100 feet.

Ranger 6900F 25w radio.

Palomar 350 transistor amp.

I checked continuity and all appears fine and correct, yet the SWR readings indicate a short.

The other problem I encountered is this...

When I turn on the amplifier pre-amp, the radio suffers from intense front end overload. It was receiving AM and SW broadcast signals.

I would appreciate any thoughts as to why I encountered these problems with this installation.

<span style="color:yellow;">Paul</span>

<span style="color:yellow;">CDX8412</span>

<span style="color:yellow;">OT8412</span>

</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.