• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Battery backup.....???

WX2MIG

Still Alive & Well
Dec 10, 2008
39° 19' 23" N X 74° 36' 30" W
Last Friday we lost power for 4 hours due to a severe thunder storm, had to resort to finishing out the activated Skywarn net on a 5 watt HT which wasn't making the repeater full quieting.
Got a 12 volt car battery under the bench now, ran a cable to where the 12 volt terminal block is located, installed 2-pole trailer hitch plugs so I can quickly change from power supply to battery backup.

Now for the 64 million dollar question......

Can I use the 12 volt power supply to charge the battery, or will this damage the power supply, or damage the battery......?

Not talking about a continuous connection between the two, but possibly plugging the power supply into the battery for an hour at a time to keep it at full charge.....

I have read where many people do so. The only thing to watch for is overheating. It would probably do well to place a fan on the supply.

Nah I believe you shouldn't throw an unregulated charging source to any of the small rechargeable battery types like NiCads, Nickle Metal Hydrides or Lithium Ions. They get charged with voltage and current limiting circuits.

But depending on your model, you should be able to power the HT directly off of the big 12V battery. Just get the accessory DC power cord that is offered for your radio. And you can always hook to your outside antenna too using the appropriate coax adapter.

I keep several 7ah, 12v sealed lead-acid batteries around just for this purpose. HT is Icom W32A

Good luck

I guess from Weasel's response I am confused. WX2MIG, were you asking if you could charge the car battery with the PS ? That is what my answer was referring to.

you could use a trickel charger, they make these for cars and motorcycles, I have one on my dirt bike and leave it plugged in all the time, only charges when needs it. I also have a car battery and do the samething for this very reason but I keep it in the garage. when the time comes I bring into the shack. I made quick connect cables, just unplug the 12v power supply and plug in the battery. I haven't need it for the shack yet but it saved the day when the battery died on my Mustang GT.

this is what I am using
http://batterytender.com/product_info.php?products_id=4&osCsid=0491376ce2389953ff5ba47c31ea8b47

I guess from Weasel's response I am confused. WX2MIG, were you asking if you could charge the car battery with the PS ? That is what my answer was referring to.

I think you're right SW.

Should be okay charging the car battery with your station's power supply. These lead acid batteries will just take what they want and stop when full. Although I would monitor it and remove the charging when battery is full.

I use a 1 amp DC meter for monitoring my batteries to see when they are approaching full.

Donw35's suggestion to get one of those little automatic trickle chargers is a great idea too. They are inexpensive and work fine. See them in catalogs all the time.

Yes....was referring to charging the car battery with the power supply...

Shack is in the garage, so the battery is too.....

Will be getting one of those trickle chargers, we have them on our old M35 Mil. Surp. Storm trucks at the fire dept, these units we have came from NAPA, they only charge until the battery is full, then automatically shut off.

Until I get one, I just want to plug the battery into the station power supply for like an hour at a time to keep it fully charged, but didn't know if this could damage either the supply or battery.....

Thanks for the responses.....(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.