• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

bird 43- help me please

bettyeboop

Sep 12, 2007
deep south
I finally broke down and bought a bird 43 with a 100 watt slug.
Does this meter only show the carrier and not any modulation?
it shows rf power up to 38 watts max. but again no modulation at any power setting ......the radio meter is showing modulation....mmmmmm
I have the arrow in the forward position...to the right. I hate to be stupid but this is the first bird meter I have ever seen.

it was rebuilt but came with no paper work. Or do i have a bum radio in my car.....we have moved and my radio room is being built as we speak...and most everything is boxed up. I have other radios and meters but would like to work this out first. I have my pres. lincoln in the car now.
Both towers are down so this is the only place to try it out right
now.

I now think it is just circumstance that this is happening and the radio needs help not the meter. I also need the forward reverse chart for swr.

Oh yea does the pep kit that is now made for this meter make it a pep only or does allow you to use it either way.

many thanks to those that have helped me along the way.

help please.

galyn davis

bettyeboop said:
I finally broke down and bought a bird 43 with a 100 watt slug.
Does this meter only show the carrier and not any modulation?
it shows rf power up to 38 watts max. but again no modulation at any power setting ......the radio meter is showing modulation....mmmmmm
I have the arrow in the forward position...to the right. I hate to be stupid but this is the first bird meter I have ever seen.

it was rebuilt but came with no paper work. Or do i have a bum radio in my car.....we have moved and my radio room is being built as we speak...and most everything is boxed up. I have other radios and meters but would like to work this out first. I have my pres. lincoln in the car now.
Both towers are down so this is the only place to try it out right
now.

I now think it is just circumstance that this is happening and the radio needs help not the meter. I also need the forward reverse chart for swr.

Oh yea does the pep kit that is now made for this meter make it a pep only or does allow you to use it either way.

many thanks to those that have helped me along the way.

help please.

galyn davis

A Bird 43 will read true RMS. The Bird 43P with the peak reading option will read both. an unpeak CB radio will not swing a Bird meter forward.

what radio/ amp set up are you using.

if you lower the dk does it swing fwd. if not its a poor tune. a bird meter shows average power. dk should be 1/2 of your average power fr 100% modulation.

dont bother with a peak board in a mobile. rf interfears with it.

dont bother with a peak board in a mobile. rf interfears with it.[/quote]

That is absolute nonsense.

psyco, do you need another time out?

when the bird peak meter was to close to my radio or amps it would act up. also rms is the real number anyways.

it was the radio.......

and as far as the meter i am going to leave it alone......when everything is in question.....it is good to have the byrd to fall back on.

I am planning on buying the clean rf units for my scope if I dont find something better.
This will give me readings on big watts as well as lots of other good info. it gives an audio output too.....(hook up to my spectrem analyzer)and laptop.

many thanks again for answering my dumb question.

davis

bighammer said:
psyco, do you need another time out?

when the bird peak meter was to close to my radio or amps it would act up. also rms is the real number anyways.

Then you should have had the meter fixed under warranty because they don't do that. Chances are the problem was with your equipment glitching.

Generally a radio will move a bird very little. If I am using an amp after radio, i will have radio DK very low and let it swing. I have a 148, it DK's about 2 watts on a Bird and swings to about 9 watts on a 50 watt slug. To me that is great talking. I may turn it up to 3-4 watts if I am running barefoot just to get a bit more carrier. Also pay special attention to your mic gain on the radio especially if it has been clipped. My radio has been clipped, but I find if I am running something like a 2 pill say 1446's, if I set my mic gain at about 9 O clock maybe 10 O clock position i get a better peak than I do at say the 12 O clock or higher position. just someting I have noticed playing around on the bench. I may not be super loud, but I am crystal clear and no distortion according to what I have been told on the receiving end. I guess this gives rdaio room to breath and better reproduce true audio not a bunch of compressed junk so to speak. Anyone care to agree or disagree. I am not a tech or anything, just someone that enjoys their hobby. LOL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.