• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Boomhauer antennas

linearone

King of NY
Apr 2, 2005
Rotten Apple Trees
www.acboxes.com
I am always looking for the next best thing when it comes to radio. Folks who know me see me buy all types of equipment, experiment with different setups etc all looking for the final say, the best of the best and only then do I implement it in my setups. My recent search has been for an antenna for my suburban.

Requirements:
1) ability to handle 10,000 watts cw, this means tight construction, thick parts, and delrin.
2) ability to withstand not only 2 amps or so of current but 7000 volts without disintegrating or melting
3) quality in construction. must not be slapped together.
4) price

Boomhauer has been making antennas now for a little while with rave reviews. the biggest thing is well... they are big over 38" tall from top to bottom without stinger. the stinger is nice a thick and is not an 8 ft whip cut off at the end, he manufactures every part of this by hand as he is a machinist by trade.
1" diameter tubing for the shafts, solid delrin insulator, nice evenly wrapped coil, the shafts dont extend into the coil which I feel is important. the coil itself is made of 1" wide aluminum approx. 1/8" thick. it is secured by taper head stainless bolts. it is 2 1/2 wraps and according to Boom it tunes better this way. he makes them in a few different coil arrangements. all the setscrews and stud at the bottom is stainless allen heads and replaceable. they are also all countersunk and finely machined.. even the coil supports start out as a hunk of aluminum that is crafted in the shapes you see. the whole thing is threaded so all parts are replaceable by the consumer. I had asked him to tig weld mine for extra security and he was able to oblige but I dont think he will make that a regular thing.

the antenna is big see the photos for measuements. I am holding it in one pic to show just how large it is. I have learned one thing in this hobby, bigger is usually better, especially when it comes to antennas. I will not discuss pricing, I will let boom comment on this but I assure you it is very affordable.

i will mount them in a few weeks and update with tuning info.

standard unit of measurement included in this pic
24180g0.jpg

331nl3s.jpg

20pdhxj.jpg

iwivsj.jpg

b4811v.jpg

35d92cz.jpg

bjyw5.jpg

2r5vzt3.jpg

34sqt68.jpg

he is probably not going to tig weld another but he threads EVERY THING so it goes together very tight. $80 is his price a bargain to be sure. I can get u in touch with him if you need one or two.

I am not so sure how tall they tune, i will assume 6 ft maybe?or so.

Good looking antenna for sure, very cool to see the craftsmanship put into something like that...

Is the coil just going to be bolted on? Wouldn't mind picking one up, but think I'd prefer if the coil was welded like your is... If your guaging interest I'd be seriously interested in one....

I sent him a PM. Hope he will get back with me . I need a antenna like a hole in the head but its a sickness. I need help LOL!

Nice looking antenna and the beer is fine but dude you need to change your shirt.:love:

1zyc5md.jpg

Last edited:
LOL, there was a toaster in the pic. It made me think of the video that Cajun posted about taking the crystal out of a toaster and putting in a CB...

That's a nice looking sky hook. I think you may have left a zero offa your amp requirement. 10kw is 14 amperes at 50 ohms.

Do they sell any kind of beefed up mount?

There is also a wedding ring in the pic by the toaster.

That makes me think that Linearone doesn't want his Suburban to get jealous.:p:

5z441u.jpg

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.