• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Building a Hv varible power supply

gogo_gadgit

Oct 31, 2009
Hello. Was wondering if anyone has any plans or ideas for a Varible power supply for up to 500 or 600 volts. I have a varible transformer (variac) for a Hp712a power supply, for adjustmet,

Since you haven't had a response in 24 hours, I'll try. I'm not sure what this HP712A power supply is or how it will help get to 600 volts. My Google search turned up info suggesting it was a computer. The power supply for that won't help. If the HP712A is an HP high voltage unregulated power supply, your variac should make it variable. If not, you'll need to start with a transformer that has about 480 volts AC on it's secondary assuming you're looking for an approximate 600 volt DC output. You'll then need four diodes in a full wave bridge to change AC to DC and a filter cap with a bleeder resistor. This is as simple as it gets and may have some ripple depending on the load. It can be improved by adding a resistor or choke between the rectifier and capacitor.

The transformer and diodes must be rated to handle the current the device you are intending to run will require. Additionally the diodes should have a voltage rating at least 1KV. If in doubt, use two diodes in series to form each leg of the bridge. Radio Shack has 1 KV 2.5 amp diodes. Filter capacitors for this job are often a pair of 450 volt 100 to 220 uf capacitors in series, with each cap having it's own 470 K ohm 2 watt bleeder resistor. Fuse the primary. This and your variac should do what you want. Keep one hand in your pocket when working with it live.

One common source for your transformer could be a simple isolation transformer with a 220 volt secondary. Since you will probably use a pair of filter caps anyhow, it's easy to make a voltage doubler with only two rectifier diodes rather then four. Much of this will depend on the parts that are most available to you. To wire either the "full wave bridge" or the "voltage doubler", just Google those terms for images on how to wire them.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.