• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

buying aluminum again

B

BOOTY MONSTER

ill be going to BMG here locally to get some aluminum . ill be getting solid round aluminum in 12 ft lengths . their prices are pretty reasonable and are for the whole 12 ft length , not per foot . last time i was there i was told they could cut materials to length for free so ill get them to make them 9 footers .

1/4 inch = $3
5/16 inch = $4.50
3/8 inch = $6.25
7/16 inch = $9.25
1/2 inch = $11.75

Steel Services :: Steel Distributors :: Metal Distributors · Virginia · Maryland · North Carolina :: VA MD NC

this will be used for ground elements for my home brewed 5/8 wgp . the price for the 5/16 inch looks great for 8 ground radials . i went to lowes and looked at their 3 ft 1/4 inch aluminum rod and it seemed plenty stiff enough so im thinking BMG's slightly larger diameter will be even stiffer . i do need to be able to make a slight fish hook type bend at the end about 2 inches deep for attaching to the mounting plate though . and also to slope them down at the edge of the plate . so if the 5/16 is too stiff ill go with the 1/4 inch , and if the 1/4 is too stiff ill just stick with the 5/16 and leave them horozontal .

ill also be getting a 12 inch square (1 square foot) of flat aluminium sheet . ill decide on the thickness when i see it though . i of course want something strong and beefy , but i also need to cut , drill and bend it too so i dont want to get something so strong i cant work with it . i can get that in ....

1/8 inch = $6 sq. ft.
3/16 inch = $ 8.50 sq.ft.
1/4 inch = $ 14 sq.ft.

ive got a digital camera now so il take pics as i go and if anyone is interested ill post some here .

Last edited by a moderator:

i finally decided on my material today and went and got it . i got four 12 foot pieces of 3/8 inch diameter solid aluminum rod and a 11 inch by 18 inch piece of 1/8 inch thick aluminum plate . i wont be able to bend the 3/8 rod ...... but i got a new plan !!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.