1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

buying aluminum again

Discussion in 'Home Brew' started by BOOTY MONSTER, May 3, 2010.

1. ill be going to BMG here locally to get some aluminum . ill be getting solid round aluminum in 12 ft lengths . their prices are pretty reasonable and are for the whole 12 ft length , not per foot . last time i was there i was told they could cut materials to length for free so ill get them to make them 9 footers .

1/4 inch = $3
    5/16 inch = $4.50
    3/8 inch = $6.25
    7/16 inch = $9.25
    1/2 inch = $11.75

Steel Services :: Steel Distributors :: Metal Distributors · Virginia · Maryland · North Carolina :: VA MD NC

this will be used for ground elements for my home brewed 5/8 wgp . the price for the 5/16 inch looks great for 8 ground radials . i went to lowes and looked at their 3 ft 1/4 inch aluminum rod and it seemed plenty stiff enough so im thinking BMG's slightly larger diameter will be even stiffer . i do need to be able to make a slight fish hook type bend at the end about 2 inches deep for attaching to the mounting plate though . and also to slope them down at the edge of the plate . so if the 5/16 is too stiff ill go with the 1/4 inch , and if the 1/4 is too stiff ill just stick with the 5/16 and leave them horozontal .

ill also be getting a 12 inch square (1 square foot) of flat aluminium sheet . ill decide on the thickness when i see it though . i of course want something strong and beefy , but i also need to cut , drill and bend it too so i dont want to get something so strong i cant work with it . i can get that in ....

1/8 inch = $6 sq. ft.
    3/16 inch = $ 8.50 sq.ft.
    1/4 inch = $ 14 sq.ft.

ive got a digital camera now so il take pics as i go and if anyone is interested ill post some here .

#1 BOOTY MONSTER, May 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2010

2. RickC.

RickC. Hopeless antenna junkie

Yeah man, post 'em!

Rick

3. i finally decided on my material today and went and got it . i got four 12 foot pieces of 3/8 inch diameter solid aluminum rod and a 11 inch by 18 inch piece of 1/8 inch thick aluminum plate . i wont be able to bend the 3/8 rod ...... but i got a new plan !!! ;)

#3 BOOTY MONSTER, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2010
  4. JoeDirt

JoeDirt Well-Known Member

Harbor Freight has something that will bend solid rod!

5. JoeDirt

6. JoeDirt