• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CAN ONE DEFINE A GOOD RADIO "TECH" FROM A "HA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Switch Kit

Apr 6, 2005
I've always kind of wondered about this ? I've been around the hobby/business for getting on 20 years now.Mr first tech was taught by another tech (whoever taught him ? I have no clue) as far as I knew at the time ,he did a good job but then again I only had very little understanding of how it all worked to begin with.(still don't)He had no special Awards or certificates or anything like that on his walls, he did have a scope and all the other special equipment that "techs" use ,but it looked like to me that he more so used a Bird and a Dosy for the quickie tuning of radios ? ....then there came my second "tech" he at first was a t.v. repair man who saw that he could make money with amps and radios ,again.he had all the right equipment but yet ,more so then not ,he to would only use a Bird/dosy meter for tuning radios for the most part.(I haven't a clue who taught or teached him this stuff either) Then there was another "tech" he had been taught by my first "tech" (had started his own business which pissed off the first "tech") again ,he had all the right tools but yet he too only used a Dosy for the most part when it came to tuning radios ? Hmmm ? Now in the last few years or so I've met a few more "techs" the first one was taught at the ripe age of 13 (he's now 30) by a now retired "tech" and folks just basically call him a quack, no certificates or awards on his walls either, this one does seem to use his scope more so then not but the Bird is always there and I honestly don't see a dosy anywhere in site (IM guessing this might be a good thing) then there were a few other "techs" I have met and they too were taught by others on down the line and also had no certificates on the walls and or special awards. Just truly makes me wonder what is the differents between a quote on quote certified radio "tech" and what one would call a "Hack" ? Maybe the truly certified ones are the ones that design the radios in the first place are the real "tech" and chances are your not going to find them down at your local Flying J's or working out of some mobile home or some store front hole in the wall ? So I ask you's that just may know the answer to my question ....What is the differance between the two ?

Well here goes;
From a guy that only knows how to turn one on, I feel the difference is a person that makes your radio work to your satisfaction at a decent price and stands behind his work is a good tech or repair person. On the other hand, one that you have to continually harass to get your radio back, doesn't let you see what he is doing, doesn't warranty anything and charges the crap out of you (aka truck stop butchers) is a bad tech.

The work tech is a much overused term in both radio work as well as automotive work....most are trained by someone (right or wrong) and the ones that do a neat job and show pride in their work are few and far between.

JMO

Don't get me started on this one....I learned the hard way over the last couple months sending diff radios out to have work/tunes done by a number of different "shops"
Only 2 of which would I even consider sending any equipment to at this point.....
Trial and error I guess is the only way to do it, different people may be happy with different levels of service, to me customer service is nearly as important as the actual work done, so you find out pretty quick who the good ones are.....

Come on Freecell ......lay it on me dude. (-: and this is absolutley no offence to anyone out there who may or may not do this stuff for a living. BC & Ped I think you gave very good exsamples of what can work for you guys.....the question remains ? thanks

A good tech has and knows how to use more test equipment than a freq. counter, watt meter, wire clippers and a gold color screw driver. he most often doesn't work out of a pickup.and if your lucky he'll still be in business when you need him and you'll get him to stand behind his work. time is the best test on the quality and honesty of anyone in business. if hes been around along time in the same place and has happy customers chance are he does a pretty good job. just my 3 cents.

I'm with you Peddler... Hit it right on the head...

It's nice when you send your radio out, and when you call you can talk to the tech without getting a smart a** on the phone that thinks he's King Electron or something...

I had a very nice conversation today with Justin DePolis... For him to take the time to call me and talk to me one on one... He just earned himself another customer.

That's one of the main things I like for... Someone I can deal with without feeling like I am being brushed off...

Than look for the proof in the pudding when the Radio comes back!

High...well Justin is one of the 2 I would say with no qualms will set you up...helluva guy to talk to and can make a radio what it should be...
Price is right and great communication....any radio I have had or any questions I have had...Boy Wonder has hooked me up....
2 thumbs up for Justin and Communications Experts!

No doubt a nice guy to talk with... I know my next piece that needs work will go to him... I would have sent the KLV if H&Y wouldn't have offered to send a new one... I would have been a fool not to jump on that.

test equipment dont make a good tech, my idea of a great tech is a guy thats a perfectionist a guy that cant bear things not being done right for him its gotta be done the correct way or not at all, having the decent quality and callibrated test gear helps for sure but if he does not really understand what hes doing then all the best intensions in the world aint gonna get the job done 100%, you would love it over here in england, even the local ham/cb shop only has basic cb test gear and the few rig doctors that are left have nothing more than a 20 dollar meter a 2 cent dummyload and the obligatory golden screwdriver to bust your ferrite slugs, thats why i have always done my own gear, even if marconi himself had tuned my radio i would still have to do it myself to be sure in my own head, i would sell the radio or amp before let somebody over here loose in my gear with a soldering iron, you guys are lucky ther are actually some techs there that do know their shit.

Some of those listed shouldn't be on there... I have heard many people say many GOOD things about these places... I have had very good luck at GiJoes and RR (William Warlock) is one of the highest talked about techs I know...

He has helped me many times with things and is currently building me a 2980WX with some neat little add-ons I will post on when it's done.

Your right... Somebody to hate is all they care about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?