• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Canada approved FM for CB

Alabama Buckeye

Dogma Heretic
Jul 29, 2022
Magic City Alabama
When AM channels are busier than a one-armed paper hanger you'd think there is motivation enough to switch to FM?

What was the root motivating cause for the spread of CB radio use? There is a lack of Advertising, there.

What are "active" FM channels?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Rwb

Alabama Buckeye

Dogma Heretic
Jul 29, 2022
Magic City Alabama

"Because FM waves don’t reflect off the ionosphere well, they cannot travel very far.

For good Frequency Modulation broadcasting, the station must be placed at the highest point or on high masts to enhance coverage."

Well that pretty much settles the question of, "why". If your communications aren't LOS you're pretty much SOL. LSMFT

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Rwb

AudioShockwav

Extraterrestrial
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Sierras Near Yosemite National Park

"Because FM waves don’t reflect off the ionosphere well, they cannot travel very far.

For good Frequency Modulation broadcasting, the station must be placed at the highest point or on high masts to enhance coverage."

Well that pretty much settles the question of, "why". If your communications aren't LOS you're pretty much SOL. LSMFT
picard-facepalm1.jpg

AudioShockwav

Extraterrestrial
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Sierras Near Yosemite National Park
You need to find better sources for information.
I can set here in California and work a FM repeater on ten meters in New York on 29.620 FM when the band was open.
There are lots of guys that have worked FM DX on 10 meters and 6 meters and.....
FM is a method of modulation, nothing more.
There are even guys that search for DX in the FM broadcast Band.

Jeff

Captain Kilowatt

Professional Amateur
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nova Scotia,Canada
I very much agree with the last two posts above. I used to work FM from the mobile into Europe quite often on the freeband. Worked 10m FM repeaters MANY times. One very popular one was located in the US Virgin Islands. I'm in Nova Scotia Canada BTW. European DXers have logged countless east coast FM broadcast stations. Mode has nothing to do with bouncing off the ionosphere. Frequency does. FM is wider bandwidth so the signal/noise ratio is worse but FM will CERTAINLY be heard around the world. The big problem as I see it is that people immediately think of the FM broadcast band when they think of FM. That is a VHF band from 88-108 MHz. Completely different than talking FM mode on HF.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    GR&T Super MC-11/A Crystal Synthesized and is in SAMS #22 I have no further information on this radio.
  • @ Robert Dinsmore:
    I have schematics and Manuals I need someone to work on it
  • @ Robert Dinsmore:
    I have a MC-7 as well W D-104!
  • @ Robert Dinsmore:
    does anybody have any Ideas for working on a General MC-11A