• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Notice: You may not use this site to facilitate the unauthorized selling of copyrighted material including, but not limited to, in the public dxForums, dxGallery, dxChat and private messsages. If you get caught doing this, you will be permanently banned with no second chances. A notice will be placed on the site of why you were banned and any information collected by this site about you will be made known to the copyright holder.

CB, VHF, UHF, and GMRS all in one

WECSOG

Jan 1, 2020
FT-857 will indeed do HF, 6M (lowband VHF), 2M (high band VHF) and 70cm (UHF). What you need to operate it is a General class ham license. You won't be able to legally use it for 11M, MURS, GMRS, FRS etc. Which is fine because dedicated radios will do a better job of all those things anyway.
I would (did) get used commercial radios to do the MURS and GMRS thing. For CB, you can find lots of threads on this forum discussing the relative merits of just about any radio you can imagine. For trail use, there's nothing wrong with a cheap Cobra 19. I have two of them, and they work fine.

Even aside from the legal issue btw, you don't need 100 watts for trail communications. It gets you more hassles than advantages anyway. And I'm not even talking about the legal issue. I'm not saying 100 watts is difficult, it just makes waaaay less difference than just about everyone assumes. All the while creating 20 times the heat and running down your battery 20 times faster.

Reactions: BJ radionut

Wingingit74

Jun 22, 2022
All are good points and I had looked into this several times. I think the biggest hurdle, which shouldn't be an issue anymore, is the amount of power allowed per frequency. I would think by now, there would be an all in one, ran by a micro computer that can handle all the power restrictions, while complying with the FCC regulations. In my Jeep TJ, I still run a Cobra-29 and have been thinking of GMRS. I don't see the point in HF for a Jeep, unless you really need to reach 100+ miles to talk to some one. Sure HF works great, but for some, getting a license is more of a hassle. Heck, for an aviation radio, you no longer need a license like you once did. I think you are better off using a CB & GMRS, unless like I said want to reach 100+ miles.

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
All are good points and I had looked into this several times. I think the biggest hurdle, which shouldn't be an issue anymore, is the amount of power allowed per frequency. I would think by now, there would be an all in one, ran by a micro computer that can handle all the power restrictions, while complying with the FCC regulations. In my Jeep TJ, I still run a Cobra-29 and have been thinking of GMRS. I don't see the point in HF for a Jeep, unless you really need to reach 100+ miles to talk to some one. Sure HF works great, but for some, getting a license is more of a hassle. Heck, for an aviation radio, you no longer need a license like you once did. I think you are better off using a CB & GMRS, unless like I said want to reach 100+ miles.
Hey Wing. You're missing the OP's point. He's saying it's not entirely his choice. Those in his group are operating across all of these bands and so he's wanting to be able to work all of the bands but with 1 radio and 1 antenna. And as I pointed out to him - that can be done.
You say no license needed for Aviation radio - are you sure about that? I missed that news release. I don't think that is correct. Have a link?

Reactions: Rwb

SIX-SHOOTER

Oct 2, 2010
Macclenny,Fla.
As a Former owner of a Yaesu 857D I would NOT suggest one even for my worst enemy.I rated it as the WORST Amateur Radio I have EVER owned or used hands down. The ATAS 120A was another Huge POS that I would Never suggest to anyone.I replaced the Yaesu FT-857D & ATAS 120A with an ICOM 7000 & a TARHEEL II & the difference was like turning On a very bright light in a totally dark room. They blew the Yaesu Garbage away with ease.The 7000 does all of those bands & it does it better than any radio ever produced in my opinion.I like the 7000 so well that I am now using the Fourth one that I have owned.You could Not Give me another 857D for FREE if I am required to actually Keep & Use it.Did I mention that the 857D is a Huge POS? AVOID it like the Plaque at all costs.

W4KVW
SIX-SHOOTER

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
No response from yesterday so I googled up my own answer. Imagine that. YES, there is no longer an individual FCC License for personnel INSIDE and aircraft, i.e. Pilot, when operating a Domestic Flight. A license is still required for Ground Stations.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 12.48.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 12.48.47 PM.png
    329.7 KB · Views: 2

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good Morning. Feeling pretty good, thanks. Field Day this weekend? Fabulous!
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Field Day this weekend(y):ROFLMAO:
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ BJ radionut:
    ButtFuzz: Good Morning. Feeling pretty good (y) :) :) :) :)
  • @ BJ radionut:
    6m open to 5 Land from Indiana....hope it goes wide open FD