• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Chain Link Fence ground?

KW4HKY

Feb 16, 2010
Getting ready to put up my first HF wire.

I was told it was a bad idea to use a chain link fence as a ground.

I was not told why though.

True or false?

HF wire?

Vertical or dipole?

One needs ground radials the other does not.

RF ground or DC ground?

Getting ready to put up my first HF wire.

I was told it was a bad idea to use a chain link fence as a ground.

I was not told why though.

True or false?

The fence may function as a counterpoise (mirror image of the antenna) but is generally not a good idea for ground. Generally fence connections are rusty and not good and solid. Rusty and poor connections lead to RFI problems. Furthermore the fence is not really grounded that well being made of galvanized steel that is usually corroded somewhat and set in concrete.

Another aspect of that chain-link fence as an RF ground/counterpoise is that depending on where it's connected (neighbor's fence?) it can end up very close to those neighbor's electronic devices. Almost asking for RFI problems.
I've used such a fence for a 'ground' and quit doing so. Wasn't a very good ground because of those intermittent/less than perfect connections all through that fence (which went around the neighbor's yards all along this whole block, ask me about RFI).
Just not the best idea in the world...
- 'Doc

Another aspect of that chain-link fence as an RF ground/counterpoise is that depending on where it's connected (neighbor's fence?) it can end up very close to those neighbor's electronic devices. Almost asking for RFI problems.

Take out the neighbors water heater heeheehee :D......j/k..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.