• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Chimney Mounting Advice

Peter Walker

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Feb 23, 2011
I have a chimney on the house I'm renting and it is no longer in use. I was thinking of putting a mounting pole down the flue and mounting my Antron 99 on that pole. I could then run the coax down the flue as well and into the house via the opening in my wall. Has anyone done this before or what do you all think about this type of installation?

I would get 2 pieces of 2"x2" angle x 5' length, 2 pieces of allthread and drill each angle, using allthread to clamp down against the chimney making a good solid mount, of course the antenna will go at the end.

If done right and your chimney is not crumbling to pieces I would trust this setup to support my own weight.

like this

|
chimney |
xxxxxxxxx |<---antenna
xxxxxxxxx |
==========<----drill angle and attach antenna with ubolt or saddle
xxxxxxxxx |
xxxxxxxxx |
========== <---angle
xxxxxxxxx |

side view

xxxxxxxxx <-chimney
xxxxxxxxx
|--bolt---L<---angle (drilled for bolt)
xxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx
|---------L
xxxxxxxxxx

another good option would be to use wrap lock or banding, even giant hose clamps joined together would work, but I doubt any of these are readily available at your local hardware store.

Is how we do it in telcom

Thanks again guys for all the helpful advice. I was able to find a chimney mount at the local electronics supply house. That place never ceases to amaze me. I was able to find the mount there as well as 100' of RG8 and PL-259 plugs to make the coax. I never would have imagined them having everything I needed.

Next on my list is to get a MFJ 941 E and some sort of antenna solution for 2 meter and/or satellite work.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.