• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Clamp amp tricks - Looking for more

yachtwork

Jan 19, 2010
I few years back I published a series of useful clamp amp tricks here-

Clamp amp use

It was mainly for boats, but many of the tricks work in other applications also.

Now I'm trying to update the list and am looking for help with other tricks people have used the amp clamp for.

If you have any other tricks please email me at yachtowrk (at) gmail.com and I'll add them to the list.

Thanks

Scott

Hi YW,

Thanks for the interesting article for sure. Fluke 31 user here. Don't really have any extra tricks here for ya. About all I can add is that if one is expecting or needing to measure very small currents, one can wrap the wire-to-be-current-measured, if possible, around one of the jaws 10 times. This will increase the reading by 10. So a hundredth of an amp flow will read as a tenth of an amp on meter ect.....

Thanks
electricf.gif

It will certainly depend on the 'clamp-amp' meter being used, but you might try 'clamping' your feed line in the AC mode to see if you get some kind of usable reading. That AC in the feed line is definitely NOT in the 60 Hz range, so a 'dirty look' from that meter may be normal, sort of. No reason it would harm the meter, so why not try it and see?
- 'Doc

Thanks

Hi YW,

Thanks for the interesting article for sure. Fluke 31 user here. Don't really have any extra tricks here for ya. About all I can add is that if one is expecting or needing to measure very small currents, one can wrap the wire-to-be-current-measured, if possible, around one of the jaws 10 times. This will increase the reading by 10. So a hundredth of an amp flow will read as a tenth of an amp on meter ect.....

Thanks
electricf.gif

Awesome trick! I just added it to the list.

Thanks!

Scott

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.