1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Clamp amp tricks - Looking for more

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by yachtwork, Feb 5, 2010.

1. yachtwork

yachtwork Member

I few years back I published a series of useful clamp amp tricks here-

Clamp amp use

It was mainly for boats, but many of the tricks work in other applications also.

Now I'm trying to update the list and am looking for help with other tricks people have used the amp clamp for.

If you have any other tricks please email me at yachtowrk (at) gmail.com and I'll add them to the list.

Thanks

Scott

2. Wire Weasel

Wire Weasel Senior Moment

Hi YW,

Thanks for the interesting article for sure. Fluke 31 user here. Don't really have any extra tricks here for ya. About all I can add is that if one is expecting or needing to measure very small currents, one can wrap the wire-to-be-current-measured, if possible, around one of the jaws 10 times. This will increase the reading by 10. So a hundredth of an amp flow will read as a tenth of an amp on meter ect.....

Thanks [​IMG]

3. W5LZ

W5LZ Crotchety Old Bastard

It will certainly depend on the 'clamp-amp' meter being used, but you might try 'clamping' your feed line in the AC mode to see if you get some kind of usable reading. That AC in the feed line is definitely NOT in the 60 Hz range, so a 'dirty look' from that meter may be normal, sort of. No reason it would harm the meter, so why not try it and see?
    - 'Doc

4. yachtwork

yachtwork Member

Thanks

Awesome trick! I just added it to the list.

Thanks!

Scott