• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 142 GTL

sportygreg

Nov 30, 2006
Dunedin,Fl
I have a 142 with weak receive and weak transmit.I see that the 1306 transistor was replaced by someone with a 2166 transistor -could this be the problem?The 2166 is rated at 6watts while the 1306 is 16 watts. I also know that IC5 is a common problem with these radios-should I try replacing IC5 first?The radio does receive and transmit with good modulation but I can only hear close stations and transmit is only about 1.5 watts.I would appreciate any help. :roll:

Well,I bought a new IC5 [mb3756] and will see what happens.The radio is in nice condition and I am determined to fix it.I already replaced an audio IC in a Cobra 29LTD that I bought for $5.00 and now it works great-I even installed a roger beep in the 29 and now it sounds like an export radio.The schematic for the 142 shows a 1306 as the driver transistor so I am guessing the 2166 is a replacement-does anyone know if the 2166 is suitable?

Thanks for the reply-I am one of those"screwdriver"experts just trying to get my radio working.The radio does have a 1969 final but I have no idea if it's good or not.I'm hoping the new IC solves the problem.

Cobra 142Gtl

I was just wondering whats the best Final and driver you can put in a 142 Cobra mine went bad and needs to be replaced and just wanted to put in the highest one I can to boost up my radio. If any one nows I would appreciate it alot Thanks.

the best driver is the 2SC2166 and the best final is the 2SC1969.

you can also use a 2SC1306 for a driver if you can find one, and you can use a 2SC1307 or a 2SC2312 for a final if you can find one of those. (all are out of production)

with regards to replacing the final to "boost up" your radio; remember that to increase your signal by 1 S-unit in someones receive; you have to increase your output power by 4x.

that means if you are deadkeying 4 watts and hitting someone with an S-5; you will have to increase your deadkey to 16 watts to get to S-6.

this should provide some perspective on how effective changing the final to get a few more watts would be.
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.